Melda vs. Waves GUI problem

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK I think I have found something reproducible about the Melda/Waves GUI incompatibility issue that popped up here and there.

I put L2 into an insert slot in Cubase 7 (GUI is opened) on channel 1, then I put MTremolo into a slot on channel 2(GUI opened), then I drag MRhythmizer over to a slot in channel 1 and tadaaa, the L2 GUI is borked. Closing and reopening the L2 GUI does not help, you have to delete the plugin from the slot and load a new instance.

Really strange thing. Question is where is the fault. Waves, Melda, Cubase? Any good guesses what might be happening here? Any tipps how to further debug?

Weird experience... (no hint, though, just wondering about it).

Btw, I should add the crazy results with Adobe Audition CC 2014 to drive Vojtech to real madness... :hihi:

This is pretty obviously OpenGL issue (I always wondered why response of Waves plugins is so horrible despite they use OpenGL acceleration). I suggest asking Waves about it. After all it's a problem in their plugins right? ;) (and don't ask me about details, there is a lot involved in GPU acceleration, for example originally Live was doing pretty much the same thing on Mac, and it was a bug in Live, now they fixed it).

Edit: Some hint for them (if you ask them) : they need to unselect OpenGL context manually after drawing, otherwise this can happen, somewhere. Btw. you have an ATI card, don't you?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

There seems to be an issue when two programs are using acceleration at the same time on ATI cards. I have poor eyesight, so I often use a software screen magnifier. But it goes nuts with Waves, Melda or Fabfilter UIs, and no others, and only when GPU acceleration is enabled.

BTW, thank you Vojtech for resizable UIs!

That's pretty probable, it's kind of a hi-tech thing and ATI drivers are one of the most buggy software on earth :D. Sadly... I have ATI too, but just bought a new NVidia, never again ATI... Anyway in our plugins you can simply disable the GPU by clicking Settings/Enable GPU acceleration.

And about Waves - it is pretty problematic to make the acceleration work along with other programs doing the same thing... But I'm sure Waves will take care of it when they get the notification.

And my pleasure bbaggins! ;)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Yeah I have ATI.

OK so I will contact Waves about this.

Would two Waves plugins also disturb each other when moving between channels? I can try that also.

They could, but I think they handled it. There's this thing called "context sharing", something that games and stuff almost never needs to do (so apparently some companies like ATI don't test it), and usually when you make more than one plugin, you quickly notice these destroy each other somehow (overwriting textures, disappearance, white background...). But when you have multiple applications (like plugins from different companies), these may be implemented differently, which can lead to problems. With waves it looks like they are using some background caching (same as us, but probably not fabfilter as their guis probably need to be rerendered every time) and these things are more or less the most problematic of the whole acceleration and there's a huge compatibility mess there (though again, there were no problems with NVidia cards whatsoever).

Interestingly, Macs also use this s*** from ATI, probably because it's cheaper...
Vojtech

Is there any owner of Cubase, Waves and Melda plugins who is willing to do the small test I described in the OP? I would like to know if anybody is able to reproduce this. A single screen setup would be perfect.

Have you tried disabling GPU acceleration in the Melda plugs?

A bit OT but I've had Waves l1 lose it's gui display since installing MAnalyzer & SpectralDynamics using each acceleration choice.
Never had any graphic issues with Waves before installing Melda plugins.
Sorry, in the middle of projects so can't do any testing...

CableChannel, did you actually contact Waves?
Vojtech

Yes I did. They suggested a few things I could try, but nothing helped yet. I am still in contact with them working on the issue.

Okey, let me know about any news ;)
Vojtech

CableChannel, care to share what actions Waves suggested? I'd be happy to try them as well.

CableChannel wrote:OK I think I have found something reproducible about the Melda/Waves GUI incompatibility issue that popped up here and there.

I put L2 into an insert slot in Cubase 7 (GUI is opened) on channel 1, then I put MTremolo into a slot on channel 2(GUI opened), then I drag MRhythmizer over to a slot in channel 1 and tadaaa, the L2 GUI is borked. Closing and reopening the L2 GUI does not help, you have to delete the plugin from the slot and load a new instance.

Really strange thing. Question is where is the fault. Waves, Melda, Cubase? Any good guesses what might be happening here? Any tipps how to further debug?

I experienced this issue first time today with the Enigma plug from Waves.
But for me, I didn't have to reload the plugin, I just closed and reopened the project itself.
Does this work for you?

Btw did you get any reply from Waves?

Return to “MeldaProduction”