MVocoder Bandwidth question

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey hey,

Im looking for modern EDM synth effects.
Im running some comparisons between Image-Line Vocodex and MVocoder as they're the only vocoders i can find that take carrier and modulator independently.
Can someone familiar between the two give me some general input on their experience?

Does MVocoder have a bandwidth option or something similar?
Is there a way you're making MVocoder sound more "Sharp", "Pointy". To me, Vocodex has a sharper touch that sounds suitable for modern EDM effects. Is there a way to do this or replicate it in MVocoder?

Regards,

Hi,

MVocoder is most likely the most versatile vocoder ever. That said, "sharpening" and other basic things can be configured in the Filters panel. Other than that I cannot really answer your questions, because it's really too vague. If you want some specific sound, I'd suggest posting some audio examples I can try to process. Anyway please check the video tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gru_8U0 ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpKpYDK ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJImwuV ... e=youtu.be
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hi,

Thank you for the response.
Firstly, i apologize for the vague description, it is a bit hard to explain.

The sound that im trying to hear from MVocoder is similar to, if you're familiar with Native Instruments Massive, the "Restart via Gate" button located in the "Oscillator Phases" section. It gives a more "pointy", "sharp" attack to every new note played thats not like a transient shaper. I guess the other way of saying it is to have it sound less overlapping or legato?

As for the modulation automation, i found this youtube video for Vocodex. @ around 4:13, he is modulating the band bandwidth on Vocodex to get the sound i am looking for. I would like to know how i can achieve the same sound on MVocoder. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D6-Q0YU6Bw )

Regards,

Hi, well, this didn't help much either, so I'm not really going to help you as well :D. What is doing something in Massive is not really descriptive at all, I don't even know what you want since Massive is a synth, this is a vocoder...
About the vocodex video - ok, there's some sound, but there's probably an infinite way to get that. And it mainly depends on the signals you send to the plugin. Sorry, but I just really have no idea how to help you... :o
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hi,

"Restart Via Gate" in Massive is not a synthesizer but a function that restarts phase, i went ahead and found the definition since i think the technical parts can help address it more adequately in comparison to mine, lol.

"The Phase block controls the relative phase of MASSIVE’s three oscillators and modulation oscillator. At the block’s bottom, the Restart Via Gate Button allows you to set each oscillator to restart at its original phase each time you hit a key. If this Button is activated, the phases are restarted with each new incoming note. (If the Button is deactivated, the phases are continuously played, and when you hit a key, the oscillators take the current phase as starting phase.)"

Please note that this is directly from the Massive synth manual so the description is in accordance to it. However, as of my original question, this restarting of phase sounds similar to the "pointy", "sharp" characters heard in Vocodex.
Im using the same modulator and carrier in my comparisons but MVocoder in its default state sounds "mushy". Is there a way for me to get the same or similar results using MVocoder?

As for the bandwidth question, could you please help me by providing more information, perhaps a few from the infinite? ;)
If that's also not possible, maybe direct me on the proper path in getting the sound im looking for as shown in my previous response?

Im a fan of Melda products and dont mind putting work into it to get where i need to be before making a final purchase decisions but i would like something to go on.

Regards,

Hi,

well, the massive excerpt doesn't really help either, because well it's about synth from a synth, it's a feature of a synth, not sure how else to say that :D :D. So please, send me a small project to info@meldaproduction.com, with 3 tracks - 2 inputs for MVocoder (insert it as well please), and third output of say Vocodex, or whatever, just what's the desired sound. I'll check myself.

For now, all I can get from all these descriptions is that MVocoder sounds "mushy" with default settings, that's not much :D. I'd say, increase band count, lower resonance, use whitening, etc. there's like million ways and million interpretations to that, so, well...
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”