Mcompare: File Slot >> Sync >> Crash

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi - I put MCompare in an insert in my Cubase 7.5.20 project. Very simple project, and turned off all the other inserts. W7, i5, 64 bit, 16 GB RAM.

Cubase plays the project just fine, and when I hit the File 1 or 2 button (I tried it in both), MCompare will play the green .wav nicely also (also tried it this with an mp3, as well as a 16-bit wav and a 24-bit wav).

But every time, when I hit the Sync button in File 1 or 2, the MCompare playback cursor freezes, it makes a stuttering noise, and the green file turns gray. The Cubase project cursor keep moving, but their is no audio. If I quick click the sync button again, it recovers, but I can't get any further than that step. If I don't click the sync button quickly enough, Cubase freezes, and the computer freezes, and I have to do a soft shut down.

At first I thought maybe it was just the demo causing a problem, but when I purchased the full version, same thing.

Please help me to use this plugin ... thanks!

Yes, that's a solved bug, please wait for the update :o. A beta should be out soon!
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Yes, that's a solved bug, please wait for the update :o. A beta should be out soon!
I'm very disappointed (choosing a nice word) that I spent hours unnecessarily trying to troubleshoot a major function of MCompare that I learn today Melda had known was unfixable.

Did I miss a notice by Melda, maybe in a read-me-first file or something similar, that this was broken? I just reviewed the video Melda released, there was no mention of this bug when that function was reviewed/demonstrated.

In the meantime, is there a recommended workaround? Thanks -

Well, if we knew about, then it would probably be fixed :). Anyway from what I remember this happens only in very specific circumstances (I don't even remember which). The beta of the major update should hopefully be out very soon, hopefully this week. Well, bugs just do happen, in so extremely complex plugins it is even harder to make everything work well. Sadly the timing made all updates impossible for a long time due to the major update. But it's all coming to a happy ending hopefully! :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Well, if we knew about, then it would probably be fixed :). Anyway from what I remember this happens only in very specific circumstances (I don't even remember which). The beta of the major update should hopefully be out very soon, hopefully this week. Well, bugs just do happen, in so extremely complex plugins it is even harder to make everything work well. Sadly the timing made all updates impossible for a long time due to the major update. But it's all coming to a happy ending hopefully! :D
Thank you for your reply.

I understand bugs do happen. Nevertheless, I think that the hours somebody spends troubleshooting can be avoided to a large degree with some communication that I don't think happened here. Some examples of that, as I've seen in other products, might be:

1) A documented "Bug List" that owners and prospective buyers can review on-line.
2) A "Read Me First" .txt file that comes with each download. It would identify any potential problems, workarounds, and other last-minute communication from the developer.

If either of those had been available for me to see, I would not have spent all that time (hours) and frustration trying to troubleshoot and fix what turns out to have been an unfixable bug.

Maybe you could consider options like those, or other similar ways, to communicate these things to us?

Thanks -

Ok, sorry for the inconvenience. Anyway I'm definitely against this, quite frankly almost nobody reads it, this bug is pretty recent and I like to solve things quickly anyway. As you know we are a company with most frequent updates on earth :D. Sadly as I said this is the major update period, so it takes time... it's getting a tradition after the new year :D.
Vojtech

@alexis1: I can hardly imagine more intensive communication Vojtech actually does with his users. He also solves bugs as quickly as possible so I think you were just out of luck and discovered this bug in a very narrow time window where it had been already solved while the major update was waiting for the green light.

"Shot" happens - that's all ;-) Best regards!
--
Miloslav

Respectfully, I disagree that this was handled well.

Stuff happens, bugs can slip through the most exhaustive pre-release testing. It's what happens next that the OP was about.

Melda at some point became aware that a key feature of one of their new products was broken. I believe the ethical obligation under those circumstances is to make all reasonable efforts to let potential customers know that the product they are considering purchasing *does not work as advertised*. The potential customer can then decide whether to part with his money or not. Either way it is an informed decision. For Melda to act otherwise (in this case not advertising the bug at all) is IMO taking money under false pretenses.

Speaking personally, I would not have wasted a full evening trying to "troubleshoot" what turned out to be a bug that could not be fixed.

I understand Melda has a great reputation for customer service. But that does not exempt them from the above, IMO.

Moving forward: Melda says no-one reads bug lists ... I'm not sure I agree with that. The DAW I use has a well-organized bug list that people reference all the time ... very helpful.

Not that there are a lot of bugs with Melda products, but I'd like to suggest they reconsider this idea.

Thanks -

Well, sorry again for the inconvenience. Anyway the beta is out! So please check here:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/download.php
Vojtech

:help: Updated to 9. Still not working for me. I thought this Version 9 would fix the bug in the previous version so I could move forward, but I guess not for me. The manual is very detail-sparse, and I'm not able to use it to help me troubleshoot. Similarly with the teaser video.

I am doing Case 3 - previous master playing in MCompare, trying to toggle it with the Cubase 7.5.20 track. I can load that master up in MCompare just fine, and play it as well.

However:
Problem A - The "Sync" seems broken still (in a different way than caused by the bug in Version 8, but broken). The MCompare file stays gray/won't turn green/won't play if Sync is first selected. Likewise, Selecting Sync while Mcompare is green and playing will stop playback in MCompare, turn it gray, and send the MCompare cursor back to start.

Problem B - As a consequence of Problem A, Detect cannot work, because it is apparently only active when Sync is active, and since the MCompare file won't play when Sync is active ... Detect returns a failure/error message, "File not playing, can't Detect anything".

Problem C - Mcompare goes out of sync with the DAW project whenever the File is toggled to Off: After I "manually" sync the two up at the start of the files and they are playing together, when I toggle File to off (clicking on it), the MCompare cursor freezes while the DAW project plays on, so when the File is toggled back on, it is now lagging behind.

Problem D - Toggling the File to On plays the MCompare file, but it doesn't turn off the sound from the DAW project - in other words, both are heard at the same time. I thought the idea was to toggle between hearing the MCompare Master file and the DAW project??

So may I ask:

Is Anyone able to do Case 3 - sync to a master, use Detect to compensate for the latencies, and toggle back and forth between hearing the previous master in MCompare and the project playing in the DAW?

If so ... if anyone could help get me going, I'd be so grateful!! Hopefully it's something very basic, like maybe there is a certain kind of track that I am restricted to inserting MCompare on (it's just one instance, for this right?), or something like that.

Thanks -

Ok, I'm superbusy right now, but I'll try to make some video tomorrow. For now, could you record your own and send it to me, so I can check what you are doing?
Vojtech

Thank you!

I'll try to make some video, though I have never done that.

I'm on Windows 7 ... what is the easiest program to allow me to do that that I can download?

PS - If by any chance you find there might still be a bug in V9, please let me know, as any video I make would be not of help then ...

Thanks!

9.00b2 update is now available, so it's possible it has been fixed (there have been some overall kernel bugs).
http://www.meldaproduction.com/download.php

Anyway I'm using Camtasia, but I'll try to make a short video asap.
Vojtech

OK here it is, let me know if anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGfzh4N ... e=youtu.be
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:OK here it is, let me know if anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGfzh4N ... e=youtu.be
Thank you for posting!

At 27 seconds when you click, your MCompare has a gray screen with a cursor moving across, and there is music.

On mine, at that very step, the gray screen *has no moving cursor, clicking forces it to the beginning of the MCompare clip*, and there is no music. The same as in my detailed description in the post above. :-(.

This is on B9.00B2. The previous problems were on Cubase 7.5.20 (and on V8 and the first V9), today's are on 7.5.40.

Suggestions please ... no moving cursor/playback with the Sync button pressed, that is the problem, I think ...

Do you remote in to my PC, by any chance?

Thanks for the vid!

Return to “MeldaProduction”