Side-chain lost in Studio One?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, so this looks like the track you are using it on is simply "full of gaps", so the infinite average is averaging the signal and the silent gaps. So I think the graph is actually there, it's just too low in level. Try increasing "Resolution", in the Analyzer settings. Also if you just need longer average, I'd suggest using "Average time", the infinite average is more like scientific thing I believe, but who knows.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

1. Yes, both tracks have gaps, but at the beginning Average and Infinite graphs should look similar. In the first track for sure they aren't.
2. What about enabled Infinite graphs not showing up?
Studio One Professional 3.3 | VST 2.4/3| Windows 10 x64 Home Premium

That's not really true. If your host is processing even if playback is disabled, then after you add MAnalyzer the average already starts building! Try an empty project, add MOscillator so that it generates sound all the time, then add MAnalyzer (or any other plugin with analyzer) and enable infinite average. The graph will be visible. Then stop MOscillator for a while and start it again. The infinite average now will be much lower.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hi,

I was puzzled about this today as I've been trialing MDynamics (currently in the 50% sale) and couldn't get the external sidechain to work in either Bitwig or Studio One. I was using the VST 2 version (because Bitwig doesn't support anything else). In Studio One it's clear that the VST 2 doesn't expose any sidechain inputs, because it's not listed as a destination for a Send from another Studio One channel. So I tried the VST 3 version and this does work fine.

However, would it be possible to implement sidechain inputs in the VST2 plugin? There are quite a number of hosts that don't support VST 3 (in fact I would imagine there are more hosts that don't support it than do!) and it seems there is a pretty well-used work around for VST 2 which is for a plugin to expose two extra inputs and hosts assume that is a sidechain. I could have sworn I had sidechaining working in MAutoDynamicEQ's modulators some time ago, so I was either inadvertently using the VST3 version, or something has changed in v9?

Thanks

Hi,

here's the thing - I think the main reason for the existence of VST3 is exactly the "sidechain". VST2 just doesn't have multiin/multiout feature at all, so hosts simulate it. It kinda work and it's a mess. Steinberg as the dev of the VST refused to support that from the beginning , that's why they came up with VST3. But it actually works in most hosts, for example, Reaper & Live just know that the plugin has a sidechain input. I'm not really sure about others, but if you want to have a sidechain in some other host and it's not there, then the host developer is the one to contact ;). There's really nothing we can do here.
Vojtech

Hi,

Well I do think something has changed in v9, because I've just loaded a project in Studio One that was already using MSpectralDynamics where I had one track sending to the sidechain of MSpectralDynamics running on another track to carve out space in that second track. With v9 the sidechain isn't receiving anything, and if I go to the track that used to be sending there is no longer an option to send to the sidechain of that MSpectralDynamics instance (i.e. Studio One can no longer "see" a valid side chain input). This project is using the VST 2 version of MSpectralDynamics, which means it was certainly working with VST 2 prior to the v9 update.

I think I may have tracked down the issue though. I just tried an experiment using Blue Cat Audio's latest release of their MB-7 mixer which now supports sidechaining. You can then host plugins within MB-7 and freely route the side-chain that MB-7 is receiving to any of the inputs on the plugin.

When I instantiate MDynamics within MB-7 it shows that it is exposing not just 2 stereo inputs, but 8. If I route the sidechain that is coming into MB-7 to the second stereo pair on MDynamics then it doesn't work (i.e. MDynamics shows nothing appearing in the sidechain). However, I tried all inputs and it seems that it does work if you feed the sidechain input into the 5th stereo input (i.e. mono channels 9 and 10) of MDynamics. So it looks like either with v9 the number of inputs exposed to the outside world has changed, or for some reason MDynamics is now looking on a different set of inputs (9 and 10) rather than 3 and 4. And presumably the "unwritten rule" for getting sidechaining to work in VST2 world (which, as you say, is a cludge) is that hosts maybe assume that the second stereo input is the sidechain?

Hopefully that made sense - it's quite difficult to explain that in words!

Aaaaaha, got it! I was just checking why FL is doing some really crazy things, so Studio One just forgots the sidechain... so:
We enabled the surround support by default, because I thought every host is now conformant, well, apparently not... will be fixed, anyway you can just click L+R button and deactivate surround ;).
Vojtech

Bingo ;)

Turned off surround and it works perfectly in Studio One and Bitwig!

Seems like a need for a quick update :)
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”