MXXX presets question

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, in MXXX you have this preset browser similar to the one in Native Instruments software. When I open MXXX it shows presets called "2 x 4 MultiChorus & Phaser", "2D panner", etc. etc.
But when I go to the Presets button on top of the window as in all Melda plugins, I have totally different presets in the opening popup window. Folders like "Delay", "Delay (creative)", "Delay (multiband)", ... "Modulation", "Reverb" are there with presets which are - I think - not visible in the browser.

Is this intended ? I don't really understand the purpose of these different presets ? Shouldn't clicking the Presets button lead to the same presets as in the browser ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wanterkeelt on Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are 2 different types of presets. Normal presets and active presets. Active presets have multiparameters mapped to some of the parameters. When you load an active preset and go to the easy screen you will see that the controls are there. People have spent a lot of time setting up these active presets and many of them contain very complex routings, modulation and mappings. All laid out for you, they are very easy to use and should be thought of as mini plugins. The normal presets are just, well....normal.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Presets are all same. It's just how it's shown in the plugin. In the main window, you see the "Tree" button? if you click on that it will show the same folder structure that you see in the presets window. It's collapsed/closed by default on the main window. If I am not mistaken it shows all presets in the main window regardless of folders but when you open the tree/folder structure and clicks on a folder it shows only presets belong to that folder.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:Presets are all same. It's just how it's shown in the plugin. In the main window, you see the "Tree" button? if you click on that it will show the same folder structure that you see in the presets window. It's collapsed/closed by default on the main window. If I am not mistaken it shows all presets in the main window regardless of folders but when you open the tree/folder structure and clicks on a folder it shows only presets belong to that folder.
So then why is he seeing 2 different sets of named presets?
There are definitely 2 different types of preset. Active presets are described in the manual.

satYatunes wrote:Presets are all same. It's just how it's shown in the plugin. In the main window, you see the "Tree" button? if you click on that it will show the same folder structure that you see in the presets window. It's collapsed/closed by default on the main window. If I am not mistaken it shows all presets in the main window regardless of folders but when you open the tree/folder structure and clicks on a folder it shows only presets belong to that folder.

I just updated the screenshot with the "Tree" button clicked, and you see that the folders are totally different.

Actually the presets are technically similar, the active preset just contain the additional categorization, plus they are in a different format and location. So they are two different collections of presets.

I was looking for the first time today at the MXXX pdf documentation (yes, it has been published). One thing particularly caught my eye. It was the statement that Active Presets were for factory content only. This somehow seems significant.

Now, I'm still a little confused over Active and Regular (or is the term Normal?) presets, and I haven't installed 9.10 yet. But with the MXXX beta I was able to save Active Presets. Maybe we now cannot. This is an interesting discussion. Hopefully clarity will emerge.

My bad.. sorry... lets wait for Vojtech to clarify
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Previously all the plugins that had an easy screen, had active presets vertically down the left side of the plugin. These were factory content only.
In MXXX you can create your own active presets.
I think that the manual has been copy and pasted incorrectly.

I must admit I've been a touch confused about them so also looked in the manual. The melda manuals are generic and used across all their plugs, so some info has to be read with an awareness of that.

The manual's info about active presets is presumably talking about how other melda plugs deal with active presets, that is, they are the quick shortcut presets on the left of easy mode on other plugs. They are the standard 'go to' setups that people who don't want to dig too far in can get easy access to. These are totally separate from the presets stored in the preset window, which anyone can add/import/export/update.

MXXX is a little different in that the active presets are up top and there are so many they built a tree structure and tag system to help you find things. This creates more overlap between active presets and presets, and therefore this confusion. Unlike other melda plugs, you can create active presets in MXXX.

Basically the active presets are indeed very similar, but they all have the "controls" mapped, hence functional "easy screen". The principle ius actually the same as with other plugins having easy screen, but in MXXX the user actually can create their own active presets. Classic presets can be anything, e.g. many different settings of the same active preset, just something a normal user will probably create.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Basically the active presets are indeed very similar, but they all have the "controls" mapped, hence functional "easy screen". The principle ius actually the same as with other plugins having easy screen, but in MXXX the user actually can create their own active presets. Classic presets can be anything, e.g. many different settings of the same active preset, just something a normal user will probably create.
So let me try to paraphrase and you tell me if I've got it right:

In MXXX users can create active presets with category tags, etc. that will blend those in with the factory presets when doing a filtered search. But the feeling is that mostly they won't bother with the extra effort and will just save their own creations a classical presets (no tags, no comments, etc.).

So what about the preset exchange? Are users who wish to share their presets for public use supposed to package them like active presets with categories and so forth? I don't have a position on this that I'm advocating - I'm just trying to understand what's expected.

Yep, you got it right ;). No preset exchange for the active presets, sorry, I think that would even be futile. Most people are not willing to create even normal presets... :D Anyway you can still create classic presets and exchange them. Personally I was even thinking about removing the "save active preset" feature from the final release, to avoid this confusion, but I guess it doesn't make much sense...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Personally I was even thinking about removing the "save active preset" feature from the final release, to avoid this confusion, but I guess it doesn't make much sense...
WHOA! I would actually cry a little if you did that, ha ha. I love making active presets.

I'm confused but will check again tonight.
I created some presets in an early beta, have just upgraded but can't find them now..........hope they're still there!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “MeldaProduction”