TapeStop effect in Melda?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi - I thought I might ask, as Melda seems to be able to do *anything* audiowise!

Is there a TapeStop effect buried somewhere in a Melda plugin?

Thanks!

MRhythmizer has a tape stop effect.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

MTransformer has a very nice active preset for the tape stop (and start) effect with speed control for how fast you want it to start or stop.

I should have known ... Melda has all!

zappsunzorn - that's just what I'm looking for, I'll check out MTransformer.

jmg8 - have you had occasion to use Mrhythmizer's Tape Stop effect ... how did you like it, how versatile is it?

Thanks!

zappsunzorn wrote:MTransformer has a very nice active preset for the tape stop (and start) effect with speed control for how fast you want it to start or stop.
Have just been playing with it, it is quite nice, thanks for the reference, zappsunzorn!

Now, I am quite happy with it as is ... but! :) ... I have in my head a certain aspect of the tapestop effect that is included in TbT's TapeStop plugin - a very cool mangling of the sound that I would like to emulate in MTransformer if possible. It is a very growly sound at the end of the slow down/start of the speed up. The effect in MTransformer, in comparison is quite a bit "cleaner"-sounding.

(The reason I'm not simply using the TbT TapeStop is that I can't get its automation to behave, and it is too hard to get the timing just right on the fly, "live". So I search for an alternative ...)

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to modify MTransformer's Tape Stop effect so it is "growlier/dirtier" as it slows down, and also at the beginning of the speed up? (TBH, there might even be a pitch drop added in TbT's TapeStop plug-in, I'm thinking there might be, but I can't be sure).

Here is a link on Soundcloud to an example of the "growly" sound at the end of the slowdown from TbT's TapeStop plugin I was trying to describe/hoping to emulate in MTransformer, if possible: https://soundcloud.com/alexissongs/2016 ... -effect-04

Thanks for any suggestions!
Last edited by alexis1 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dup, sorry.

Did you take a look at the one in MRhytmizer?
If you load the default presets into the pitch slot, then look near the bottom for "vinyl stop"
In the window you can draw your own shape to change speed etc.
You are right though a tape stop FX is both the time slowing down in relation to the pitch dropping.

MRhytmizer, definitely. It's full of great quality scratch and tapestop presets.
But if you have Max for Live there are some devices for this.
I think there must be a number of freeware effects for that too.
Last edited by Soarer on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, I requested a true, linked pitch/time varispeed melda plugin a while back, for things like doppler and these tape stop effects. The Rhythmizer plug wasn't really made for this, it's more of a glitchy beats thing and frankly I never use it. MTransformer is absolutely awesome, but again, it's not specifically for this as it's primarily a pitch/frequency modifier.

Anything that has pitch and time unlinked is going to have a different sounding effect than a straight forward varispeed effect. The great thing about varispeed effects is that there is absolutely no signal quality loss at all, the effect isn't created by messing with the signal other than slowing down/speeding up. Whereas unlinked effects are either granular (which chops up the signal causing all sorts of nastiness) or phase-vocoder/spectral (which has the waxy/smeary effect). I really think there's a gap in Melda's line for varispeed and more time based effects; examples being a solid time stretcher and a linked pitch/time varispeed effect.

But obviously Vojtech has a lot of stuff going on... I made the request, he said 'not many people use or need that', and that was the end of it. Oh well, I can dream :) I know we all make a lot of requests on this forum, but personally I think it's because we all appreciate how awesome Melda plugins are and know that if Vojtech turns his mind to something, it's always awesome... and we all have different interests and needs :)

Thanks for the comments guys!

Am I thinking of this right ... MTransformer is doing the pitch drop (since it's changing the left-sided frequency In/Out graph), but not the slowdown?

If that's the case, I wonder if I combine Cubase's Elastique slow down preset with Melda's pitch drop if I'll get a good effect (like my example from TbT's Teardrop plug-in, above)?

Thanks much for your thoughts -

alexis1 wrote:Thanks for the comments guys!

Am I thinking of this right ... MTransformer is doing the pitch drop (since it's changing the left-sided frequency In/Out graph), but not the slowdown?

If that's the case, I wonder if I combine Cubase's Elastique slow down preset with Melda's pitch drop if I'll get a good effect (like my example from TbT's Teardrop plug-in, above)?

Pitch and Time are linked. If you slow down a record its pitch will also drop relative. It's when we try to change pitch or time individually that it gets tricky. There are always side effects. But if you change the two together, there is absolutely no loss of audio quality at all. Vector warrior said as much above.

You are correct in thinking that MTransformer is changing the pitch only. Unfortunately it won't sound right if you use this alongside another plugin that does the time slowing. This is because they are both separate, they will both have their own side effects.

The sound your after is actually really simple. It's just the "time" section in MRhythmizer. You can draw in any shape of how you would like the time to slow. But it will always be pitch/time linked as described above. This is the best way to do it.

jmg8 wrote:
alexis1 wrote:Thanks for the comments guys!

Pitch and Time are linked. If you slow down a record its pitch will also drop relative. It's when we try to change pitch or time individually that it gets tricky. There are always side effects. But if you change the two together, there is absolutely no loss of audio quality at all. Vector warrior said as much above.

You are correct in thinking that MTransformer is changing the pitch only. Unfortunately it won't sound right if you use this alongside another plugin that does the time slowing. This is because they are both separate, they will both have their own side effects.

The sound your after is actually really simple. It's just the "time" section in MRhythmizer. You can draw in any shape of how you would like the time to slow. But it will always be pitch/time linked as described above. This is the best way to do it.
Hi jmg8 - I just looked at Mrhythmizer, and yes, I believe this is the way to *exactly* get what I'm looking for, thank you!

Oh, my, my though ... it is quite hard to get one's head around how the Time parameters work. I know the presets should be able to guide me there, but I can't figure out how to have the tapestop effect pause ever so briefly at zero speed, and then start speeding up.

I like it because there are no artifacts (unlike TbT's Tapestop), but for now I have to put MRhythmizer down ... "my brain hurts"!

Thank you though - I know I'll be able to work through this, just not this morning! :)

Do you still have TBT Tapestop VST?...can you send me a link or email it to me please?

Return to “MeldaProduction”