Q/FR: MDrummer velocities

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think that MIDI velocities in MDrummer are all shown as % values (of 127, I presume)
But what does a 0% value mean (a velocity of 0, that is, a Note Off)?

Here are just a few examples:

Wouldn't it be better if the velocities were shown as the traditional values 1 ... 127 ?

Also, in the lower screenshot, is the Velocity Alteration a % of the note's original velocity or of 127? If the latter, then it can also be shown as a numeric value (-127 to +127)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

In MDrummer everything is moved to more "logical" stuff - percents, drum types etc. MIDI is like a stone age stuff :D. The only reason it still exists is because it is used by pretty much every device, not that it would be good, it's not, it sucks :D. It is possible that one day there will be some better interface, which will use the logical units and at that moment MDrummer will be ready ;). And it stores all rhythms and stuff like that, so internally MDrummer is way more accurate than MIDI.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

True, but I cannot program my keyboard velocities or DAW MIDI clip note velocities in %

Let's say I would like to use three layers, for velocities 1 to 40, 41 to 80 and 81 to 127. I need to get a calculator and work out the percentages ( 40/127 = 31.5%, 41/127 = 32.28%, 80/127 = 63%, 127/127 = 100%). Yes, I could approximate the percentages without calculating them but then I'll probably end up adjusting them.

And am I right to think that the Velocity Alteration is a % of 127?
--------------
Just a thought: How about adding a divide key to the numeric entry keyboard (and allow / when typing in). Then I could type in or click 40/127, it would be calculated as 31.5% and all would be well. Future-proofing for the "Son of MIDI" as us old traditionalists kept content. ;)

Ah ha, that would also come in useful when I want to enter a Filter Resonance of 5 semitones - I type in 5/12 and get a Resonance of 41.66% of an octave.
Inspired by ...

Hehe DarkStar, you are making things waaaay too complicated, for yourself :D. When programming drums, you should follow your ears, not some numbers ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I do, but my keyboard and MIDI clips follow numbers (especially those in the range 1-127) ;)
Inspired by ...

Hehe true ;). But still, just listen and move it ;). These are layers of the same sound (probably) after all.
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”