Odd rhythms now possible with Melda's LFO-based modulation system, thank you!

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After spending all these months with MXXX and creating many rhythmical, tempo-synced patches I find it very restricting that one can not create sequences with odd rhythms like 5/7/13 and so on. As the LFO cycles driving a step sequencer are all based on multiples of 4, there is just no way to do it and I have scratched my head for many hours. So pretty please give us a step sequencer which can be freely set in number of steps and quantization so I could e.g. create a cycle of 28 steps, each step being 1/8 in length which would give me 4 bars of 7/8. Always thinking in 4-8-16-32 is so unbelievably boring....

Thanks - Simon

EDIT: of course this FR counts for all Melda plugins, and the arpeggiator in MXXX is not what I am looking for cause that's targeted at creating pitch sequences.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hmmm, ok, so I'm a little lost - you can create any number of steps in the sequencer. So I assume you meant odd synchronization?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I think he means time signature (which are limited by a power of two here).
I think Simon wants to be able to have the step sequencer running in 2/3, 4/6, 5/7, 7/8, etc.
Think Philip Glass alike modulations (or Venetian Snares beats) ;)

MeldaProduction wrote:Hmmm, ok, so I'm a little lost - you can create any number of steps in the sequencer. So I assume you meant odd synchronization?
Up to 32 steps that is. For a 4-bar long 7/8 groove I would need e.g. 28 or 56 steps with each step being 1/8 or 1/16 in length, and the LFO cycle would have to be a multiple of 7 long, e.g. 14 or 28 quavers.

Here is a quick example made with Falcon, a sequence in 7/8 - I have done hundreds of patches over the years and composed dozens of pieces in odd time signature using electronics, most synths and effects ca do it, Melda will be able to do it!

Download.

I'm still not sure what you are after to be honest - do you mean say 1/4 synchronization where 1/4 would be each step and there would be say 13 steps?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:I'm still not sure what you are after to be honest - do you mean say 1/4 synchronization where 1/4 would be each step and there would be say 13 steps?
As the entire duration of a step sequence is tied to the LFO length you just need to give us odd LFO cycles if not a new step sequencer. So that an LFO cycle could be e.g. 7/4 long, or 7/2 - now it's only based on multiples of 2, now way I can fit in a 7/4 or 5/4 time signature in an LFO cycle of 4/4 or 16/4.

Aaaaha, ok, so while there is say 1/4 sync, another parameter would be needed as "number of them", so you can set it to say 7 to get 7/4, right? Then you would fit any number of steps to such sync, correct?
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Aaaaha, ok, so while there is say 1/4 sync, another parameter would be needed as "number of them", so you can set it to say 7 to get 7/4, right? Then you would fit any number of steps to such sync, correct?
Yes, that's correct, that's how e.g. the Falcon step sequencer works - with up to 128 steps.

Ok, I'll add it to to-do list, we'll see.
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Ok, I'll add it to to-do list, we'll see.
Thank you.

Thanks Vojtech for listening and adding the count feature to the modulators, now creating step sequences in odd time signatures is easy and straight forward :tu: :party:

My pleasure!
Vojtech

Yep I've been waiting for this 2, Thanks a million!

A modulator related question.. I'm writing a track right now with everything quantized to 35% swing. (not an uncommon thing to do in certain styles)
I realize I can utilize the swing built into the arp.. but having someway to add swing to a sequence in the step sequencer of a modulator is impossible right?
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

I'm afraid that's indeed impossible. You can draw it using custom shapes though ;).
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”