MTurboComp

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Vojtech,

you wrote it would make half of uad and Waves comps obsolete. Why half and not all? Can it "only" simulate the ones build in the presets? How does it work? What about feedforward and backward compression?
How does it stand it against Uhe Presswerk?
I am on holiday at the moment, but very tense about it.
You also said it's part of the mixing Revolution, but in which way? And now you go also the simulation way, which you never seem to like? I am surprised about this?

Saludo,
Marek

Interesting talk.
Personally I don't like how most simulations are 'sold' being it just replicas, the flavor or the month or one knob jobs.
If Vojtech is able to come up with scientific, explicit explanations and controls of either what the processes are technically doing or else in terms of showing the arc or possibilities that certain processes actually produce to the sound, then I would move on into the game. If anything, because under such base, the area will be able to evolve further from just replicating certain past glory and we'll get real control of what they do.

I am simply not at ease choosing tastes or colors that may or not belong to reputed way of doing things.
Why not to classify outcomes in qualifying terms instead (grit, granular, etc) not unlike Pierre Schaffer's ¨Treaty of Musical Object¨.
If such is doable and translates into working DSP, then it will be part of a revolution, indeed.

///Sorry edited while an answer was posted
Last edited by Nspace on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hi,

Svama, I'm a little lost :D. Just check the plugin out, that's better than thousand marketing words :D.
Anyways Nspace - in your post I'm completely lost. Are you asking something? Or proposing something? :D Maybe a language barrier, but I just have no idea at all.

Anyways the plugin is simply a super-versatile dynamics processor, and machine learning was used to match sound character of the required compressors. It's not any kind of 100% replica of anything, it's based on the originals though, extends them with lots of features etc.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Hi,
Are you asking something? Or proposing something?
Just pointing to the field of products selling simulations of past hardware, a place I am not happy at.

Understanding that every analogue resistor, capacitor, ground path, etc, affects the resulting sound and that it can be done with software now and thus, a new market has developed. However I am attentive for developers and platforms that instead of designing certain complex algorithms and delivering a closed case plugin, strive to provide such designing control to the user.

For instance at the recent Dirk Ulrich interview I learned that he used an interesting Creamware framework. In his words (a friend said to him) "why don't you use our software, so you can actually prototype this thing in the box without spending money for power supplies and housings and other stuff. The Creamware system had a toolkit. You could pick filters and other electronic parts and pull them into the system and connect them with virtual cables, similar to Reaktor now. I really got into this, because it was so exciting just to build your own plugin with these widgets."

That is one way, the alternative I was also pointing at above is coming out with detailed descriptions of what those actual hardware do to sound. And from the detailed classified landscape of sonic variations, offer tools to achieve those, kind of timbre reverse engineering.

On hindsight these two approaches are being deployed by the varied history of plugin developments. Being able to do some of that with a single plugin, MTurbComp, brought the issue to mind.

So I have to wait until vacations and will check it in the mixing contest

I checked it out quickly, but I'm on vacation so I haven't been able to test it on audio.

I will say the amount of control looks amazing. I really like the fact that not only do you have tons of compression options, but also saturation and eq options.

I have 1 question though. What does the " super fast" button do? The attack can already be set extremely fast and there is a look ahead option. Please let us know.

Super fast, if it is the same as in other Melda dynamics processors, essentially makes the level detector sit on the threshold when the signal goes down, rather than continuing down to minus infinity. That way, when the level goes back up, the level detector is already at the threshold when the signal reaches it, so you don't need to wait for the level detector to rise to the threshold... with super fast switched off, you'd have to wait for the level detector to rise up and this can take a little longer.

It's harder to explain than to see in use really. Try it in a compressor and it should make sense when you observe it.

The biggest downside is that if you are using a knee setting other than zero you will get a volume reduction when the signal goes below the threshold. This is because the knee smooths the ratio so that at the threshold there will be slight signal reduction and the super fast setting makes the level detector sit at the threshold. So you probably won't want to use it with a soft knee.

Hope that makes sense.

OK. I'll pipe in here and say that I really love this plugin. The simulations (active presets) sound great. Then when going under the hood (edit) there is loads of options. There are 4 followers that can interact with each other in different ways and 4 processors with pre and post saturation. Lovely work Vojtech, great job! I have to admit though that I don't understand input and level curves properly yet, I need to do more digging. But without tinkering around and just using the easy screen, it sounds fantastic. I surprised the FET compressor didn't make an appearance but love the VariMu, Combinator and SSL bus compressor.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Sounds great, i'm really curious about how it compares to the Uhe Presswerk, which I own, maybe I can sell it.

Actually I like the presets a lot! Seems to be a nice plugin with a very good chance to be my go to comp for the future :-)

Did my first test drive, sounds nice so far, but there seem to be some bugs, like set agc doesn't work, tested with 1176 preset. In this preset the attack doesn't work correctly. I have to test more.
All in all it seems very complex, a good tutorial, manual could help.

I haven't seen any announcement about MTurboComp, I take it's beta only - is that the reason?

::
Mads

It's open beta phase, you can download it under Downloads

Right, I found it - thanks!

::
Mads

Mstressor is so great for Drums, but there is definitely a bug in set agc, the output knob doesn't move, but Level is correct.
Hope for a stable, bugfree release soon.

Return to “MeldaProduction”