MXXX how to change MIDI channels of the crossover bands?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MXXX

In MXXX it seems that the crossover bands on top are hardwired to the MIDI channels 1 to 6. So if I put two MPowerSynth into band 1 both can only receive on MIDI channel 1. If I set an MPowerSynth inside MXXX to another MIDI channel than the crossover band the synth will receive no MIDI input.

Is there a way to change the MIDI channels of the crossover bands? It would make sense to be able to set the MIDI channel to "all" if only one crossover band (only one matrix) is used inside MXXX.

Confirmed here - no, I cannot see a way to change it.

I had not tried PowerSynth in MXXX before, but I thought that this:

would let me pick the MIDI channel for each PowerSynth instance. But I cannot get it to work as expected. Only channel settings of "All" or the channel relevant to the band will let the MIDI through.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Sorry it is fixed and won't be configurable. It's possible that MPowerSynth reacts only to channel 1, not sure, I'll check.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Sorry it is fixed and won't be configurable. It's possible that MPowerSynth reacts only to channel 1, not sure, I'll check.
Is there a technical reason for this restriction?

Yes, to make it simple enough. I quite don't see a reason why the channel needs to be configurable.
As for MPowerSynth accepting only channel 1 - there actually seems to be some problem in MXXX and the MIDI filtering, I'll need to dig into it a little more.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Yes, to make it simple enough. I quite don't see a reason why the channel needs to be configurable.
As for MPowerSynth accepting only channel 1 - there actually seems to be some problem in MXXX and the MIDI filtering, I'll need to dig into it a little more.
My experience is a different one: If I have 2 crossover-bands in MXXX and put a MPowerSynth into the matrix of band 1 and another MPowerSynth into the matrix of band 2, then the synth in band 1 only responds to midi channel 1 and the synth in band 2 only responds to midi channel 2.

If the midi settings of the synth in band 1 is different to "All" or "1" then no sound is heard from this synth, if the midi settings of the synth in band 2 is different to "All" or "2" then no sound is heard from that synth.

Because of this behaviour it is not possible to have 2 or more MPowerSynths in the same matrix/crossover-band listening to different midi channels. MPowerSynth standalone can do that.

If I'm using only 1 crossover-band in MXXX, I'm limited to only one midi channel. So it would be nice not to filter the midi channels if only 1 crossover-band is set in MXXX.

My personal wish would be not to filter any midi channel based on crossover-bands because this would increase the possibilities in MXXX.

Damn it! You just cracked it! :D It's because of the crossover that MPS doesn't react to anything else than channel 1. I'll need to think about that...probably the only solution will be to send all midi channels IF there is only one band.

Now if you want to use a crossover and multiple MPS at the same time, you can simply use the Crossover FX instead of the global crossover. There shall be a tutorial soon, but just find a Crossover FX and it will be pretty obvious what to do with it.
Vojtech

Please sir, please sir, ... me, me, me

I got the same results as Ahornberg. That's what I meant when I posted "Only channel settings of "All" or the channel relevant to the band will let the MIDI through.".

But - why not just use the MIDI Input selector as in my screenshot above? Or did I miss something?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I don't follow - why? Why making it more complex? You can control which MIDI channel to send there, right? So you just need to know that band 1 receives midi channel 1 etc.
Vojtech

Imagine a microtonal tuning with 144 or more notes per octave. To get a playable synth I need more than one MIDI channel. One Idea can be to create several "modes" like Wendy Carlos did for her "Beauty in the Beasts" album (she used a Synclavier). My idea is to create something similar inside one VST. Actually I do this inside Bitwig. MPowerSynth standalone can do complex MIDI channel settings. MXXX as a more advanced plugin can't do it and has MIDI input selectors that are useless because MIDI channels were pre-filtered by the crossover bands (and the MIDI channels 7 to 16 are unreachable inside the matrix). I went on MXXX because of its "endless" complexity, and the more complex a plugin is, the more weird things I can do with it :tu:

:o holy crap, 144 notes per octave? :o you can compose anything like that? :D
Anyways the prefiltering is a problem, I may add some switch to turn off the prefiltering completely, but I'll start by disable prefiltering automatically when there's just 1 band. Hopefully that will suffice.
Vojtech

Disableing prefiltering automatically when there is just one crossever-band helps a lot!
Thanks in advance!

Yes, a microtonal tuning with 144 notes per octave is quite "easy" to handle because 144 is 12 x 12 and can be handled using 12 notes per octave and 12 MIDI channels. If a DAW allows to color MIDI notes of different channels in different colors, composing is a real challenge but it is possible :tu:

Very well already done ;). But release may take some time.

Do you also have 12 keyboards on top of each other? :D
Vojtech

... waiting for the next release :hyper:

no, I don't have 12 keyboards :ud: but TouchOSC does a good job :D

But maybe you should get 12! :evil: It wouldn't be easy to take to gigs, but you'd look really cool, well, you probably wouldn't be visible, but still :D
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”