Ableton only sees 1 MIDI channel in MXXX

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to use MXXX as a mult-timbral instrument in Ableton. I'm able to route to MIDI channel 1. But if I create 2 MPowersynths and set one to a different channel, Ableton does not see the new channel. Any ideas?

I'm afraid you'll have to ask Ableton about it, normally all plugins accept all channels. I'm not even aware there's a possibility to choose which MIDI channels a plugin accepts, it just receives all MIDI, so it seems like yet another Live mystery :).

Edit: How do you even do that? I mean you just route MIDI to the other MPowerSynth, I don't see a reason to mess with MIDI channels.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hi,

With the 'External Instrument' Ableton device on a MIDI track, you can route MIDI to the MXXX plugin on an audio track. The 2nd drop down lets you select the MIDI channel. This works for multi-timbral instruments (Falcon, Kontakt, etc). However, for MXXX there is only MIDI channel 1 available. I'm not sure if this is a restriction of Ableton -> MIDI channel 1 of VST FX.

You can do the similar of External Instrument with the routing drop-downs of a MIDI track. But also only MIDI channel 1 is visible for MXXX.

What's happening, I believe, is that MXXX describes itself to the host as an effects plugin, not a synth plugin, and Live only lets you access all 16 channels for synth plugins.

You can see the difference in Live's behaviour where there are separate effect and synth versions supplied, eg Reaktor.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:What's happening, I believe, is that MXXX describes itself to the host as an effects plugin, not a synth plugin, and Live only lets you access all 16 channels for synth plugins.

You can see the difference in Live's behaviour where there are separate effect and synth versions supplied, eg Reaktor.
Yes, I also believe this correct.

Try using MPS with additional instances inside the FX module. This might allow you to set the midi channels up as you want.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

I tried this in Reaper as well and it doesn't work.

Can someone else confirm? Try creating 2 MPS in MXXX, each on a different MIDI channel. Then try routing to both.

Confirmed; only channel settings of "All" or the channel relevant to the frequency band will let the MIDI through. You could create two bands, and put an MPS in each setting their respective input channels to 01 and 02:

Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/hEg94er.png

That works here.

This is somewhat related:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&t=468756

Mr Melda is investigating. :)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Yes, MPowerSynth inside MXXX only receives MIDI channel 1 in first band, MIDI channel 2 in second band etc. It will be changed so that if there's just one band, all channels will be transmitted.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

^^^^
Good oh - does that mean that the MIDI Input channel selection will work for the played notes too ? So each MPowerSynth can receive a different MIDI channel?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Sure ;). That would be quite extreme to play, but still :D
Vojtech

Necro'ing this question because I'm also having the same difficulty: in Ableton, it seems that I can only route MIDI to the first band in MXXX, even if I set other bands to receive on all channels. Is there something I'm missing to get this to work? Thanks!

EDIT: never mind, I figured it out -- turns out that the VST3 version allows 16 inputs.

Return to “MeldaProduction”