Feature Request: Freeform EQ Matching

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not melda's tech support, I'm using my limited free time to help you. You upload the file and I find the answer for you as it works for me just fine as it's not just one button.

"Well, I mean - he did basically call me an moron. How can you possibly mess this up? You can't. Not even an idiot can mess this up."
raise that self esteem a bit :wink:

pone wrote:I'm not melda's tech support, I'm using my limited free time to help you. You upload the file and I find the answer for you as it works for me just fine as it's not just one button.

"Well, I mean - he did basically call me an moron. How can you possibly mess this up? You can't. Not even an idiot can mess this up."
raise that self esteem a bit :wink:
No need to upload a file, just use any audio files you have. It won't perfectly match with any example.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

"It won't _perfectly_ match "
Why should it. The point of giving the samples is that I'd check which settings are required to make it work.
It will perfectly match only with short samples, longer ones - not always.
The whole process is complicated, I don't want to get into the details. It's not just pushing one button.

Folks, be nice to each other, you know, karma! :D

As for the screenshots - to me it looks actually correct - there seem to be no high frequencies (or just low in level, sort of noisy), but the plugin tries to match it anyways, so there you have it ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Folks, be nice to each other, you know, karma! :D

As for the screenshots - to me it looks actually correct - there seem to be no high frequencies (or just low in level, sort of noisy), but the plugin tries to match it anyways, so there you have it ;).
Did you see the before/after pics I posted? Why doesn't the blue line match the red one? Isn't it suppose to? If not, how does it determine how close it matches it?

You mean the high end? There's a threshold. It basically considers levels below certain range as "useless noise", not trying to approximate it at all.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:You mean the high end? There's a threshold. It basically considers levels below certain range as "useless noise", not trying to approximate it at all.
No, just the entire EQ curve. When you match the blue to the red, isn't the blue curve supposed to be identical to the red curve? Look at my screencaps, that's not what happens. What is the point of the freefom EQ match if it doesn't match the blue to the red exactly? You can do matching this close with any of the other EQ plugins. I thought the freeform was different because it wasn't limited by bands.
Last edited by Lotus9 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Could you send me the actual 2 audio files, so I can check it out myself? It's hard to answer anything without that.
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Could you send me the actual 2 audio files, so I can check it out myself? It's hard to answer anything without that.
If Freeform isn't limited by bands like the other EQ plugins then why doesn't the EQ match make the blue line exactly like the red line? Isn't that the entire point of freeform EQ as opposed to a band EQ?

Sorry, but I cannot just answer questions audio I didn't see using settings I didn't try.
Vojtech

You can use any two audio clips. Can you get the blue line to match the red line on any two audios clips? That's the question. It doesn't matter which two audio clips you use. If it's freeform EQ, I thought it would match the blue curve to the red curve exactly. But it doesn't.

Well, I just tried on white noise - eq it somehow and then revert it using MFreeformEqualizer. The result wasn't exact match, but very close (like +-1dB). I assume these minor inaccuracies are due to the log scale internal processing - basically it doesn't work like classic matching. It does everything in log domain, which is how you hear and edit things. Therefore everything you do should be more "natural", however when you analyze things back again, it's like converting from and to log domain again, and this operation is lossy, so minor differences are to be expected.
Vojtech

I got bored of seeing this thread so I tried a test myself... two lines of different dialog by two different actors... matched them and the result was very similar:
2016-10-19 13_29_19-VST3_ MFreeformEqualizer - Track 1 [2_2].jpg
The analysis before was pretty different, about 15dB different in some parts of the spectrum. So, it seems to work pretty well to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MeldaProduction”