Workflow Question With MPhatik vs Latency

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm working on some audio that I'm beefing up with a melda linear phase EQ and then an MBassador with a linear phase crossover. After that processing I want to revert the signal back down to the original dynamics, so I'm placing an MUtility BEFORE the effects, and redirecting the signal to channels 3/4, then an MPhatik AFTER the effects which uses the signal on channels 3/4 from the MUtility as the side chain input.

The above works, but the problem is that both linear phase processors are adding delay to the signal (as you'd expect from LP) and MPhatik is not compensating for this latency. Therefore the signals are totally out of sync with each other and I am unable to restore the dynamics correctly.

My response is to put MPhatik in an instance of MXXX and delay the sidechannel input... but I wonder if there's a better/more accurate way and whether MPhatik should be aware of the latency.

This is in Reaper, which obviously has plugin delay compensation... but that obviously wasn't built for this purpose, e.g. Reaper doesn't know that i'm sending a signal later in the chain and must compensate it.

Thoughts?

IF ;) I have understood you correctly, you're doing it all on one track - I'm pretty sure that Reaper doesn't apply PDC within a track (Don't know about other hosts).

Try this on two tracks:
(a) on track 1 - audio, MBassador and M LP EQ,
(b) on track 2 - set to 4 channels, MPhatik, with sidechain enabled,
(c) 2 Sends from track 1 to track 2:
-- channels 1+2 to channels 1+2, post-fader, for the effected signal into the main input of MPhatik,
-- channels 1+2 to channels 3+4, pre_FX, for the original signal in the sidechain input of MPhatik.

Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/4eu8S21.png

And here's the view of the three waveforms in MMultiAnalyser
Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/DNQ6lko.gif

Blue is the effected audio on track 1, green in the main input to MPhatik (same as blue) and red is the original audio, on 3=4 on the MPhatik track.
Last edited by DarkStar on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Ah, makes sense, thanks. I also figured out another way using a single track... Auto align. I just put the phatik in an instance of mxxx then put an auto align on the side chain input. That said, I prefer your two track version as I was getting some unusual behavior on sounds near the start position with auto align.

Thanks for the thought!

Good oh! You could put them both in a folder too, if you want.

I did try with MAutoAlign but clearly I don't understand it yet ;).
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Return to “MeldaProduction”