MDrummer - MIDI control question (triggering breaks, chorus, etc)

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm setting-up a laptop-based guitar looping station, with MDrummer providing the rhythms.

One thing I cannot figure out is MIDI control, and I need some help. I have tried 3 hosts so far with similar results - FL Studio, Bitwig and Renoise. I am using MDrummer Large 6.06.

I've seen the question asked before but I can't find the post.

The problem is that I cannot map some of MDrummers's exposed control parameters to my MIDI controller. I am using the Host to make the mappings. I can map some parameters, for example Global volume control.

However, I want to trigger the intro, break, chorus, etc. from Rhythm channel 1 with a MIDI foot controller, also channel volume.
These seem to show-up as parameters in the host (Channel 0 I assume), and accept the MIDI mapping, but then do not respond to the MIDI controller.
Is it possible at all to link these controls to CC messages? Are they MIDI channel-dependent?

Here's a pic showing these parameters under FLStudio
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsanadbhcpf5o ... r_midi.png

I appreciate that MDrummer offers a lot more control than this, but I prefer this simpler approach to Live jamming, and it works well using the mouse. I really want to free-up my hands though.

Thanks in advance for any advice, also again for all the amazing new plugins. As an MTotal license holder I feel absolutely spoiled.

:)

Hi Stimresp,

I think the automation for controlling what MDrummer plays still works, but I'm not sure :). It sucks :). Check the MIDI command method:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/video-tu ... /mdrummer/

(video number 3)

For live jamming, I'd probably recommend song tab, it would do all stuff automatically.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hi Vojtech,

Thanks for your reply. I guess this means that these parameters are not mappable.

I do appreciate the wealth of control that MDrummer provides in the song and sequencing modes.
However, I find that triggering drums from the Quick Setup tab leads to more spontaneity, rather than the more precise sequencing methods.

It's nice to be able to generate a random kit and rhythm then jam along using autobreaks and varying the dynamics (channel) level to instantly match the guitar. It also gives more freedom to insert breaks, change-up to chorus, etc. when ever the mood strikes.

Would be cool to do this from a MIDI (foot) controller.
Just a thought.

Kind regards and thanks again 8) ,
stim

Hi stim,

well, not that it wouldn't be possible, but to be honest, there's just no development time for this. I mean, you can already control what MDrummer plays, but using MIDI keys. Providing every possible crazy control one could want is just out of the scope. I'd suggest checking some way to manipulate MIDI - e.g. Cubase has lots of MIDI plugins allowing you to transform MIDI somehow. That's how it should be done - not every plugin implementing every way to do something with MIDI, but host allowing to transform every MIDI to every other, so that one single solution per plugin suffices.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

pizmidi midiconverter3 should do it.
Also, have a look at pizmidi midi2qwerty16....because MD's Transport (including breaks, long breaks etc) responds to qwerty keyboard numbers..see the ? on the playback tab.
pizmidi stuff is free.

Follow up:
Well I got midiconverter3 to work but no luck with the qwerty thing...it seemed like a good idea at the time! (but I'm probably doing something wrong).

Return to “MeldaProduction”