Q: MAutoVolume working

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MAutoVolume

@alexis1: is the "MAV off" snippet the raw file, no processing at all? No input gain, compression, etc.? The reason I ask is because after importing it onto a clean track the snippet plays at -3DBFS with absolutely nothing else going on. That, in and of itself, would leave very little headroom before clipping for an instance of MAV to work with. After adjusting for that I had very little trouble coming up with several solutions/settings that could work for you. Also, are you using the external sidechain input for the detector or the default internal signal?.../s~
mba m2 15" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
mbp i9 16" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
logic10.8.1  | reaper7.07 | focusrite.2i2

steve2KVR wrote:@alexis1: is the "MAV off" snippet the raw file, no processing at all? No input gain, compression, etc.? The reason I ask is because after importing it onto a clean track the snippet plays at -3DBFS with absolutely nothing else going on. That, in and of itself, would leave very little headroom before clipping for an instance of MAV to work with. After adjusting for that I had very little trouble coming up with several solutions/settings that could work for you. Also, are you using the external sidechain input for the detector or the default internal signal?.../s~
Hi steve2KVR - Thank you for looking at this!

I believe there probably is some processing on that, but I don't have access to the raw file.

But do I understand you correctly to say:

1) It's best to process the vocals when they are at, say, pk -10 dBFS, rather than -1 dBFS? And, ...
2) That you lowered the gain of the 2-3 second vocal snippet down, and was able to get a nice non-distorted, yet levelled, result?

Thanks again!

...back at it...and since I still don't know how you are using MAV and the intended outcome, here goes...

1/...yes, in fact -16dBFS or even more would be better still...at -3dBFS input you have left no room for MAV to increase the gain more than 3dB before digital clipping...which is the outcome you are reporting...

2/...yes, easy-peasy...depending "how you are using MAV and the intended outcome"...hth.../s~

steve2KVR wrote:...back at it...and since I still don't know how you are using MAV and the intended outcome, here goes...

1/...yes, in fact -16dBFS or even more would be better still...at -3dBFS input you have left no room for MAV to increase the gain more than 3dB before digital clipping...which is the outcome you are reporting...

2/...yes, easy-peasy...depending "how you are using MAV and the intended outcome"...hth.../s~
That makes a lot of good sense, steve2KVR. Thank you very much!

...best of luck then!.../s~

Return to “MeldaProduction”