Change my pitch up?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a friend who prefers to tune his guitar to a reference pitch of A=432Hz.

Let's just leave it at that and address the technical element of the discussion, please. :neutral:

He brings me demos and rough tracks that he has recorded at this pitch, and sometimes we want to shift the whole track up 8Hz so that it matches the more common reference of A=440Hz.

Surprisingly, to me, I have had a hard time figuring out what plug-in(s) are correct for the task. The ones I find seem to want to do more than I want them to like create harmonies or follow a scale or they brag about how they "mangle" the audio.

I just want a VST that will shift the pitch of an audio file up by 8Hz. Or if someone brings in another track that's out of tune, bring it up or down by a few cents or a semitone or whatever unit of pitch I want to work with.

Am I looking for a pitch shifter? Frequency shifter? Harmonizer?

Of course, my favorite plug-in house is Meldaproduction so I am asking the experts.

Should I get MTransformer or MHarmonizerMB, can I do it with MAutoPitch or MFreqShifter or what?

OK, so first you definitely need a pitch shifter not a frequency shifter.
8hz equals 32cents. Typically the more you shift the more you get horrible artefacts, then certain shifters will perform better than others depending on the audio you are using it on. However this is not a big pitch change, so most pitch shifters will do a very transparent job.

MAutoPitch will work just fine. Simply turn down the depth parameter to 0. We don't want to use an autotune type effect.
Then turn the detune up by 32 cents.

Job done.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

... Smack my b*tch up

Sorry, couldn't help my self :)
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Elevated_being wrote:... Smack my b*tch up

ha ha, yes.
I have made an active preset for MTurboDelay called "Tap My Pitch Up"
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

jmg8 wrote:
Elevated_being wrote:... Smack my b*tch up

ha ha, yes.
I have made an active preset for MTurboDelay called "Tap My Pitch Up"
Thank you for the very detailed instructions, jmg8.

I titled my post that way because the second half of that couplet is what pops into my head when he starts talking about why the demos he brings to me are in that tuning.

I think that the built-in pitch shifting algorithms of your DAW might be better than the ones of a third-party plugin.

sinkmusic wrote:I think that the built-in pitch shifting algorithms of your DAW might be better than the ones of a third-party plugin.
Depends. I usually just try different ones depending on the signal and choose what I like the best.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”