New Iconic Basses? (Höfner 500/1 and Rickenbacker 4001)

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Damnation.... I'll have to buy yet another solid state disk for all the great stuff I'm going to buy here this year :-P

;D

Gregjazz wrote:
tman2k (Meathook Audio) wrote:My two cents...I don't even know if it is feasible, but maybe have the player version for people who don't have Kontakt4, and then perhaps a non player version for people who do have the full Kontakt4 (maybe even a little cheaper, because you wouldn't have to pay for the player license for those ones!)
Yeah, that would be the plan.
This sounds fantastic!

any news on this side?

cheers, akj

Yup--I'm going to finish the projects currently scheduled (CoreBass Pear update, Jazz Rock Flute, Evolution update), but I do have some cool news on this front for you later this year. ;)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

thanks, good to hear

cheers, akj

Gregjazz wrote:Yup--I'm going to finish the projects currently scheduled (CoreBass Pear update, Jazz Rock Flute, Evolution update), but I do have some cool news on this front for you later this year. ;)
Hi Greg, Still waiting on those Hofner and Rick bass samples! Still in your plans? :)

Kind regards, Rick

Working on the Rickenbacker right now! I think I'm close to 30,000 sample zones at the moment, in fact.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

tman2k (Meathook Audio) wrote:My two cents...I don't even know if it is feasible, but maybe have the player version for people who don't have Kontakt4, and then perhaps a non player version for people who do have the full Kontakt4 (maybe even a little cheaper, because you wouldn't have to pay for the player license for those ones!)
+1

Soundiron does that already.
Good idea from my point of view if you care about your customers.
Andy is a support ninja.

Yeah, I definitely want to license the Kontakt Player in the future. Especially if I develop a library for Kontakt 5, for example--that way people are using Kontakt 4 won't be left out.

There are a few things to consider, though:

- Licensing the Kontakt Player is pretty expensive for single instrument libraries. Definitely feasible for larger libraries and collections, though.

- It takes Native Instruments around 6 weeks to process the library, delaying the release, and making it inconvenient to release updates for libraries. That makes it tough for me to make a "quick fix", or customize the script for alternate versions later on.

If/when I do create a Kontakt Player instrument, I'd want it to be unlocked, though--that way you're not locked out of Kontakt's backend editing controls.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

As a full Kontakt user, I appreciate the cost savings and tweakability of libraries designed for the full version - and I don't want to keep paying NI over and over. But I can also appreciate that restricting yourself to full Kontakt denies you access to a larger market.

The ideal compromise would seem to be offering two versions, one for full Kontakt and the other for the free player, at two different price levels. However, I see very few vendors actually doing that. I'm wondering if NI discourages it?

Gregjazz wrote:That makes it tough for me to make a "quick fix", or customize the script for alternate versions later on.
Well, not if you're linking your scripts via NKR to your NKIs, then it's a matter of sending an updated NKR to the users. :) In this case, having a label that says which version of the library is in question directly on the GUI would help.

Of course, in case of a bad/corrupted sample, you'd have to reencode and that's additional hassle, but knowing you, you wouldn't let that happen in the first place :)

I seem to remember there's a problem with recompiling the NKR from the resources folder once it's in the encoded format. But maybe there's a trick to it, like compiling it with the unencrypted version instead, and then swapping the NKR out.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”