How do I get the funky "chord slide" effect in Strawberry?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You know, the one in which you play a barre chord and then slide one semitone up on the fretboard to play the 16ths on the chord you were intending to? I'm no guitarist, so maybe I'm not explaining it correctly, but hopefully someone will understand what I'm saying. :D

To put it generally: can I "slide" a chord one semitone up just like I would do with a single note?

I know exactly what you're talking about. As soon as I can, I'll make you an analysis with MIDI files and MP3 examples like I did with the powerchords tutorial, hopefully that will help!
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks Greg, you're awesome!

Okay, here is the download for the MIDI file, MP3 output (along with an "in the mix" MP3), and NKI preset: http://www.orangetreesamples.com/downlo ... alysis.zip

Here's an explanation of these files:

The MIDI file uses the Evolution Electric Guitar - Strawberry lead guitar component preset (included). The effects used in this tutorial is the unmodified "Stoned Rhythm" preset in Guitar Rig 4.

Here's a description of the files included:

Example 1 - Evolution Electric Guitar: Lead Guitar Component

Funk Guitar Ex 1.mid - MIDI file with the note data, to be run through the included EEG lead guitar preset in Kontakt.
Funk Guitar Ex 1.nki - EEG Kontakt preset, with the layers set up for this guitar track. Put the NKI in EEG's lead guitar folder with the rest of the patches.
Funk Guitar Ex 1.mp3 - Output MP3 audio.
Funk Guitar Ex 1 Mix.mp3 - What the example would sound like in the mix.

The first half of the guitar track is without any staggering (to imitate the notes being strummed), and the second half has this humanizing staggering applied. That way you can be the judge of whether or not it's worth your time to stagger the notes as in the MIDI file. Personally, I think if the guitar part is just another flavor in the mix, you can save the time and leave it unstaggered. If it's a prominent part you might want to consider putting in the extra work.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks Greg! :) I will check it out later tonight!

comments on funk guitar midi sample

This is a rhythm guitar played with your lead guitar engine.
Layer 1 "blues muted" notes are triggered from notes played at velocity less than 70, Layer 2 "soft sustain" notes are played from velocities from 120 to 170. I do see where you played those muted chords identified by the low velocities. Im not sure what is played by the chords played at velocities of 100 because you didnt define this in the mapping section. Also I wasnt able to distinguish the difference in sound from the chords played at v=100 verses the chords played at v= 127.

thanks for the upload. Im starting to get the idea.

Power chords midi example 1 .

This one is more straight forward. In your layer 1 you have a keyswitch sen at note B0 which is note 35 (funny in my sequencer it calls it B2). which triggers those muted strums. The rest of the notes are just straight notes, although I cant figure out whats making them play up strokes or downstrokes on the guitar.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”