Jazz/Rock flute sample library--requests?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gregjazz wrote:
jancivil wrote:Well, Jeff Steinman (Warp IV) has a lot of this covered for jazz flute;
Yeah, I've checked his out before. It's pretty much keyswitch heaven, right? It seems like there's a lot of trills and other articulations, but those things are always tough to play from a keyboard since it's not always very practical to memorize so many keyswitches let alone incorporate it in your playing.

You know me, I'm all about automating those things to make libraries more instantly playable. ;)

I'm not trying to get into criticizing other libraries at all, but the one big thing I'm not hearing in this flute library is legato between the notes, which IMO is a really important aspect in realism.
It's keyswitch city. The legato isn't the most useful, no. There's enough of eg, Eric Marienthal's, or Wayne Bergeron's, et al, sound to make up for it in many cases. It's very systematic... at times a bit cookie-cutter. The things such as rips and falls are very very good, and the new library is extremely thorough. It tends to be, if you want a transitional effect from one bit to the next, you look for the articulation to pull i8t off. which can be wearing.
Gregjazz wrote:
jancivil wrote: I am liking CC11 expression control in the VSL piccolo I just bought, a LOT.
Does the CC11 only control volume, or does it affect the tonality of the instrument as well, when creating dynamic fades?
All of the above. The articulation is called 'performance legato' in VSL land, here 'CC11 = expression' is huge.
jancivil wrote: I def don't understand enough about what's possible in kontakt scripting to get around this rack interface way o life, but this IME would put your products above a lot of the rest of Kontakt devs. VI Pro is a game changer for vi control.
Gregjazz wrote: Yeah, I absolutely love what VI Pro has done with their latest engine--really fantastic work, and it looks so easy to use, too!

On one hand, I want to sample a lot of articulations, but on the other, I also want to minimize the number of keyswitches and make everything as real-time as possible.

My philosophy when it comes to sample libraries is that if you want a trill, you should be able to just play a trill on the keyboard and have it sound realistic. Same goes for grace notes, etc.
Basically I agree. In fact I have been a stickler for doing it all by hand. But there are trills I can get and trills a top flight performer on the instrument gets, stylistically informed performance practice... I can fake about anything, but... eg., I have baroque performance experience on a guitar and I kind of know where these licks fit on a timeline by now, but work savers are important at this point for me. EG: a trill or a drum roll, or especially repetitions (a LOT of work for me), or p>f>p swells, etc now time stretched to fit tempo, this is my go-to unless it isn't available.
I'm in no a position to really know your market, but I wonder if everybody's really a crack keyboardist. Me, I do a lot of editing. I record all of it in by a key or drum controller, but I have to 'build' a performance from the former.

I don't care how you do it but i want to sound like Björn J:son Lindh in "One Night in Bangkok". :hihi:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9mwELXPGbA (Björn comes in at about 2:20)

/Yoss

Yossarian wrote:I don't care how you do it but i want to sound like Björn J:son Lindh in "One Night in Bangkok". :hihi:

/Yoss
+1!!!
Blue Phase Music

Yossarian wrote:I don't care how you do it but i want to sound like Björn J:son Lindh in "One Night in Bangkok". :hihi:

/Yoss

YES! YEEEEEESSSS! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

:love:

damn I'm needing your flute in this one I think. The warpIV one sounds fantastic but I am tempted to do a really florid solo and that's a PITA.

Any word on how this is progressing? You've got me intrested in this one. :)

Going great, successful recording session, and I have a LOT of material to work with. 5 dynamics of sustains, harmonics, overblowing, all that good stuff. Plus, we recorded a bunch of phrases, too, just to add to the mix for those more esoteric effects. Oh, and we recorded it with three different mics as well as a stereo room pair, so you'll have 4 different signals to mix (as well as factory mix presets).

The flutist we sampled is super talented, too! Here's his website: http://www.mattanklein.com
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

I'd like to get something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PBbbHWUbBU
amen.

Got a mirror? It won't load due to copyright restrictions here
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:Got a mirror? It won't load due to copyright restrictions here
I answered in PM.

Btw, I just listened it once again and I thought that it might be cool (if it is possible, of course) if I was able to play flute with voice, singing unison the same notes (listen 'Burgundy Blues' at 2:02)
+ maybe additional key for taking breath (with velocities - from barely noticeable to the noisy one).
amen.

Yup, got the PM, thanks!

We recorded a bunch of phrases that included that singing along technique. It's pretty popular in rock/blues flute playing, so that was a must. We also got a lot of percussive noises, like beat-boxing into the flute (think Greg Pattillo).

Breath noises? No problem! :)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:Yup, got the PM, thanks!

We recorded a bunch of phrases that included that singing along technique. It's pretty popular in rock/blues flute playing, so that was a must. We also got a lot of percussive noises, like beat-boxing into the flute (think Greg Pattillo).

Breath noises? No problem! :)
Thanks in advance and good luck! ;)
amen.

OMG, you're killing me!

Whencanwebuywhencanwehavewhencanwebuywhencanwehave?!?

;)
Blue Phase Music

Please include the ability to smoothly morph between articulations and velocity layers!

For realistic flute solos, I think that there should, at the very least, be smooth morphing between different velocity layers and between vibrato and non-vibrato.

To achieve smooth morphing between vibrato and non-vibrato, as well as control over vibrato tempo and depth, it may be better to do vibrato with a pitch bend script instead of samples.

As discussed in previous posts, there are already several good flute sample libraries available. But none of these have morphing capabilities (and I have never been able to get Kontakt's built-in AET filter to work properly with these libraries), so if OTS's Jazz/Rock flute can include morphing, it will place OTS's product in a totally different league from all the others.

Another idea: It will also be very useful if breath noises from a male as well as a female player are included.

juliansader wrote:Please include the ability to smoothly morph between articulations and velocity layers!

For realistic flute solos, I think that there should, at the very least, be smooth morphing between different velocity layers and between vibrato and non-vibrato.

To achieve smooth morphing between vibrato and non-vibrato, as well as control over vibrato tempo and depth, it may be better to do vibrato with a pitch bend script instead of samples.
Well, either you guessed really well or have inside information. :)

Yes, you'll be able to morph between dynamics to create swells and whatnot (that'll make it create for those who use wind/breath controllers). You'll also be able to dynamically change the vibrato depth and speed.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”