Automation problem X1/Kontakt4/EEG what's happening here?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to automate the whammy bar in an Orange Tree Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry patch loaded into Kontakt 4.
I am using the factory default 'Messy Blues' instrument.
The whammy bar is set to use midi CC4 for automation.
The moment I create the envelope in X1 the envelope defaults to a value of 64.
EEG detunes enormously.

BUT IT NEVER GETS BACK INTO TUNE

and the envelope does not seem to alter the pitch/tone of EEG within Kontakt.

Even if I delete the envelope the EEG does not get its tuning back. It remains detuned.

The whammy bar 'knob' does not move in the Kontakt instrument interface either...

I am so confused as I cannot work out what is going on here..

Can anyone enlighten me?

Check the "controllers" control page in EEG Strawberry to make sure that the whammy bar controller didn't get moved to a different controller number.

Other than that, I just tested it in Kontakt 4 on Sonar 7 PE and it works fine... I wonder if it IS an X1 problem? I'll have to do more research, because a problem like that would no doubt affect other sample libraries as well.

Another idea would be to try using a different controller number for the whammy bar, since CC #4 is generally used for a foot pedal--maybe X1's handling of the foot pedal controller isn't working correctly?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

I have similar issues. In my case, EEG gets detuned after I use SLIDE. I think (recalling from memory here, not sure) that the entire lib gets transposed one semi-note down. It resets back again after a restart of my DAW. It doesn't happen all the time, though, and I don't have a recipe for reproducing the issue.

I also use Sonar, but I don't think it's a Sonar X1 problem. The same thing happens in 8.5. I have Kontakt 4 as well.

Don't know if this related to the OP's problem, but it might give some further clues...

It might be possible that one of the controllers related to pitch is getting altered, causing a shift in pitch. I need to figure out which controllers responsible for pitch bending / whammy bar might be getting tweaked accidentally, be it by the sequencer or the script.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Wow, this thread is really old, but I cam here today looking for clues because I have the same issue. Trying to automate CC4 for whammy bar depression and the moment I add the track envelope for CC4 it defaults to median. Playing the track at that point results in full depression of whammy bar. Adjusting value of envelope has no further effect. Removing envelope from track has not effect (playback still at full depression of whammy bar). Only way to fix it is close project and re-open.

I am wondering if the OP or Greg ever figured this out.

Should have mentioned I am using Sonar X1 Expanded, latest version of Kontakt 5.

Just tried an experiment. Inserted a track envelope on CC 14 (assigned to nothing in Evolution). Edit envelope to go from 0 to 127 over a couple sets of notes. Also have it go from 0 to 127 over a single note. Track plays normally with no pitch change (as expected, because CC 14 isn't assigned to anything in Evolution). Then go into Evolution and change the whammy bar CC from 4 to 14. Play track and nothing changes - no effect on output (no change in pitch). During this test pitch wheel and mod wheel still work fine.

stlum wrote:Trying to automate CC4 for whammy bar depression and the moment I add the track envelope for CC4 it defaults to median.
What value is the median? I think it should default to 0, which is no whammy bar. 127 would be having the whammy bar fully depressed. Do any controller curves you draw have an effect on the whammy bar pitch?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Sorry to not respond sooner - been sick.

So, when you add a track envelope in Sonar X1 it assumes it's a bipolar envelope (like pan) and inserts it at the middle value (like 64). But it occurred to me that it might be a track envelope issue. So, I deleted the track envelopes I was playing with and hand-entered a manual controller event (using the default CC 4). Voila, it worked. Next, I converted the MIDI controller events to a shape, and.. VOILA, it continued to work. So now I have what appears to be a track envelope on the track that successfully controls the whammy bar with CC4.

This must be some issue between Kontakt 5 and Sonar X1. Not too concerned now that I know the work-around.

Thanks for responding Greg. Cherry, Strawberry, and Passion in the bag. Saving my pennies for EAG now.

Cheers,
Steve

So were you using track envelopes to control a CC #? I've always used the controller lane in the piano roll for CC #s (which doesn't have the bipolar envelope problem), so I didn't even realize you could also use track envelopes.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Yes, started out trying to control CC4 with track envelope - didn't work. Erased that. Added manual CC4 in Piano Roll (same as you describe your workflow) which worked fine. Then converted that MIDI CC4 data to shape in the Track View and ended up with a properly "configured" track envelope for CC4, thus achieving the original goal. Not sure X1's track envelope implementation is fully-baked yet.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”