Official Evolution Update Progress Thread

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Flipping the guitar might also help right-handeds vs. left-handeds, no? :D

EvilDragon wrote:Flipping the guitar might also help right-handeds vs. left-handeds, no? :D
Yeah, probably... but bear in mind, you're talking to a left-hander here. ;)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

I think the idea was to show the guitar as viewed by the player, so I would imagine that would mean it was neck to the left but also the guitar and its strings upside down. To accommodate a lefty using this principle, that would mean neck to the right but strings upside down.

That's FOUR variants including normal left and right-handed views. Good grief, that's just getting ridiculous. I'm sure your customers would prefer "their money" spent on your clever Kontakt scripting and playability ideas. More chord definitions please.

Just a thought.

Basjoe

I like the view that Greg posted.

The chords are working out really well--and I got the strum keys working with them yesterday, too (next will be working on the strumming patterns, too). The chord detection system is cool because it takes into consideration the tuning of the strings (alternate tunings), where the capo is set at, the inversion of the chord you're playing, as well as where the fretting position is set to.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Forgive me if you already answered this, but we'll have enough keys to strumming (up/down/mute/half/palm) and also play all the single strings simultaneously now? Well, not "at the same time" of course... :D

brazilian_samba wrote:Forgive me if you already answered this, but we'll have enough keys to strumming (up/down/mute/half/palm) and also play all the single strings simultaneously now? Well, not "at the same time" of course... :D
Yeah, I think that's the general idea. Single string strums are a must for more complex picking patterns, and that will definitely add a lot to the strumming pattern engine side of things.

It does get a little tricky in some cases where chords don't encompass all the strings--because sometimes you need the single string strum to pick a string relative to the chord rather than absolute to the strings of the guitar--e.g., pick the lowest note in the chord, which might be different strings depending on the chord at hand. So I'm still figuring out that part. Ideally the solution will be whatever is the simplest (and most practical to use), yet most powerful.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Oh, wait a minute, Greg. Does "single note strums" mean: I press a chord, and then we have 6 keys that would pluck each individual string? If so, that's pretty awesome!

Or, another cool idea - how about using a CC for strumming? Keyboards with ribbon controller could definitely use this.

oooh.... ribbon control +1 :D (Haven't used my Korg Triton for years)

Gregjazz wrote:
brazilian_samba wrote:Forgive me if you already answered this, but we'll have enough keys to strumming (up/down/mute/half/palm) and also play all the single strings simultaneously now? Well, not "at the same time" of course... :D
Yeah, I think that's the general idea. Single string strums are a must for more complex picking patterns, and that will definitely add a lot to the strumming pattern engine side of things.

It does get a little tricky in some cases where chords don't encompass all the strings--because sometimes you need the single string strum to pick a string relative to the chord rather than absolute to the strings of the guitar--e.g., pick the lowest note in the chord, which might be different strings depending on the chord at hand. So I'm still figuring out that part. Ideally the solution will be whatever is the simplest (and most practical to use), yet most powerful.

"Simplest", "Practical" and "Powerful". Sounds like music to my ears!
When you figure out the best way to script that (soon, i believe), and combine with the highly customizable strum keys, which we already have (and i don't see anywhere else), BANG!!!! 8)

EvilDragon wrote: Or, another cool idea - how about using a CC for strumming? Keyboards with ribbon controller could definitely use this.
I've messed around with using CCs to control strumming, and it's pretty cool. Though you do have to automate things with slider/wheel type controllers to solve the "returning to the 0 position" problem--like if you want to play two downstrokes in a row, not triggering the upstroke picking on the way back down.

Though ribbon controllers solve that issue, because they can be set up to automatically return to their 0 value upon releasing your finger from the ribbon controller. I wish they were a little more standard on MIDI devices/keyboards, though.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Well, aren't I lucky I can completely program the ribbon controller on my Kurzweil to send out any CC I want, and choose the spring-back behavior to whatever value, etc. :) This is going to be VERY cool if you add it! :)

Gregjazz wrote:
EvilDragon wrote: Or, another cool idea - how about using a CC for strumming? Keyboards with ribbon controller could definitely use this.
I've messed around with using CCs to control strumming, and it's pretty cool. Though you do have to automate things with slider/wheel type controllers to solve the "returning to the 0 position" problem--like if you want to play two downstrokes in a row, not triggering the upstroke picking on the way back down.

Though ribbon controllers solve that issue, because they can be set up to automatically return to their 0 value upon releasing your finger from the ribbon controller. I wish they were a little more standard on MIDI devices/keyboards, though.
what about the difference from the last read value to the new reading?
If (Abs(Vnew-Vold)>(Vmax-Vmin)/#Strings
;Not probable event. keep old Value for now and wait until further input
Else
;Twang!!
Endif

?

Well, that's all pretty easy, but what if you want to play two downstrokes without the upstroke in between?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:Well, that's all pretty easy, but what if you want to play two downstrokes without the upstroke in between?
Hello-Gregjazz :?: ?=what about the Ilya Efimov Nylon Guitar library-how it lets you use realguitar(from: music LAB) rhythmic/strum patterns with their product. that is of course inside your sequencer. cuold you and would you implement that please....

:hihi: :hihi: :D :o :shock: :?: :?:

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”