Passion Flute and EWI USB

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got WIVI Band and tried it this morning and was blown away. Then I heard the sound of Passion FLute ... and bought it immediately, despite WIVI Bands superb Concert Flute, Passion Flute sounds so much more "Solo Me".

I have not had much time to try it with my EWI USB. At first, I was dissapointed by the lack of expressiveness with the EWI, until I MIDI learned Passion Flutes Expression and Vibrato Depth parameter...

However, playing the Passion Flute with the EWI USB just did not feel as "natural" as playing, for example, Mr. Sax T. Notes overblow "too fast" for example...

I am no Kontakt expert, but is there a way to "scale" the incoming MIDI CC#2 of the EWI USB 0-127 unlinear to the expression Parameter, so that CC values 0-112 for example map to Expresion values 0-64 and CC values 113-127 to Expression values 64-127 or something similar?

No doubt, the sound is incredible!!! But the MIDI reaction, at least for the EWI USB is not quite there... Maybe it's on my part fiddling with the MIDI mapping, but maybe there'll be some help from you developers, or other Passion Flute EWI players?

Would like some more insights to the scripting automations. HOW exactly does the script react to my playing? And what's the Breath Circle on the Perform Page for? Does it affect the sound? If so, how? For example automatically playback Breath noises and restart held notes? Or is it just cosmetics?

Thanks for this incredible sounding instrument!

Exactly, the circle shows you the amount of breath used by the player, and after you let go of keys when playing a legato phrase, it will play a breath noise sample (very discrete, but realistic as well).

As far as scaling the CC values go, you could use a multiscript for that, but I'll need to script it first. :D

What the heck is a multiscript and why haven't you scripted it already? *g*

Multiscripts are MIDI processors in Kontakt. See the little paper scroll icon to the right of instrument page selector buttons (1-16, 17-32...)? Click on it. Paste this script there:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=P1CpiRY4

You can save this as a preset (and I suggest you do that) by clicking on the "Preset" button. Select the MIDI input channel (the one you're using for your EWI), then select the CC number you want to scale (by default it's linear), then play a bit with the table editing to get the scaling how you want (tip: right-click-drag to make a straight line over multiple cells), then finally select the MIDI output to the Kontakt instrument.

Wrote it in a hurry so I didn't test it, but it should work!
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will try this evening.

There are some genius around here...

EvilDragon wrote:...
does not work... I get a script error...

but thanks for your effort anyway! :-))

To Greg @ Orange Tree Samples

How am I supposed to have a light attack, then blowing harder until overblown? I can't get the feel of the instrument, which is a pity because it sounds so incredible well :(

Some hints on what to setup and how?

It works over here. Are you sure you're pasting it in the Multiscript editor, NOT the Instrument script editor?

Also, I noticed that the CODE tag on this forum messed up the script by adding spaces in some lines. Try the PasteBin link above again, please.

That did it! Cool! Thanks! :)

Yeah, a lot of it is about scaling the controller automation to match your preferences. Let me know how EvilDragon's multiscript goes for you, too.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

No update yet--but hopefully it'll just be a matter of adjusting some fade values and such. I might also need to add some bias to the dynamic curve to put the overblown attacks at a higher dynamic, since it seems like these attacks are triggered at too low of a velocity.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Will it be possible to start blowing gently, then increase the blow strength to drive the sound into the overblow range?

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”