Cherrytree Bass Legato

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bought Cherrytree bass hoping for a lightweight alternative to my Prominy SR5, however ...

the legato I find frustrating, it causes bass lines to progressively decrease in volume (presumably when notes are calculated to be on the same string). For me it both sounds and feels very unnatural.

How do I turn this feature off? (Kontakt 4 full).
"Everybody loves the sound of a train in the distance ... everybody thinks it's true." (Paul Simon)

Which CoreBass Cherry library? The standard fingered one, picked, or slapped?

The legato is only triggered when you overlap notes that are within a minor 3rd interval apart, by the way.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Hi

The standard fingered one. My playing style regularly includes runs of bass notes close together, and the sound just progressively fades out on me.

I am primarily a keyboard player, but having to play basslines staccato to maintain the volume does not feel natural.

Maybe, ideally I would like to be able to set legato behaviour (on/off).

Alan
Gregjazz wrote:Which CoreBass Cherry library? The standard fingered one, picked, or slapped?

The legato is only triggered when you overlap notes that are within a minor 3rd interval apart, by the way.
"Everybody loves the sound of a train in the distance ... everybody thinks it's true." (Paul Simon)

Right, when you play legato on bass, it will naturally fade as the legato decays. I've created an alternate version of the Cherry patch for you that adds a control to set the legato range. You can download this NKI patch for Kontakt 4.2.4 here:

http://www.box.com/s/9c63mxq7nb7j0ttsqfh1

You can also automate this legato range knob to any MIDI CC you want, if you need to change the legato range on the fly in your MIDI sequence.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:Right, when you play legato on bass, it will naturally fade as the legato decays.
But shouldn't hammer-ons and pull-offs put more energy into the string's vibration? I think that's the problem here since Cherry will completely fade out, even when doing hammer-ons and pull-offs that would normally keep it from doing so.

Thanks - ideal!

This both suits my playing style, and also lets me move existing parts from other bass VSTis to Cherry.

@J-R
Makes sense to me, but I am not a bass player.

Alan
Gregjazz wrote:Right, when you play legato on bass, it will naturally fade as the legato decays. I've created an alternate version of the Cherry patch for you that adds a control to set the legato range. You can download this NKI patch for Kontakt 4.2.4 here:

You can also automate this legato range knob to any MIDI CC you want, if you need to change the legato range on the fly in your MIDI sequence.

Greg,

Thanks for your quick response to my original post. Can I make one more request?

Using the patch, with legato set to zero, the hammer-on and slide samples are never triggered. I have tried setting it to 1 or 2, but still regularly come up with walking basslines which fade right out.

Would it be difficult to produce a patch where these samples could still be triggered, but simply don't automatically decrease in volume?

I could still produce a decrease in volume if I wanted to by simply pressing each key less hard.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Sure, I can do that. I'm out of town at the moment, so I won't be able to create the patch until Wednesday, but it's a pretty simple alteration to the patch.

Kind regards,

Greg
IvoryTickler wrote: Would it be difficult to produce a patch where these samples could still be triggered, but simply don't automatically decrease in volume?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Greg,

Cheers.
This level of responsiveness certainly won't hurt your business!

Alan
Gregjazz wrote:Hi Alan,

Sure, I can do that. I'm out of town at the moment, so I won't be able to create the patch until Wednesday, but it's a pretty simple alteration to the patch.

Kind regards,

Greg
IvoryTickler wrote: Would it be difficult to produce a patch where these samples could still be triggered, but simply don't automatically decrease in volume?

J-Rokujuushi wrote:
Gregjazz wrote:Right, when you play legato on bass, it will naturally fade as the legato decays.
But shouldn't hammer-ons and pull-offs put more energy into the string's vibration?
The fact is, the hammered note is generally not going to have the energy at the point of attack as the plucked note. Even with a truly muscular player. A pull-off can have a lot of energy but it's not necessarily a great result, people work hard to get it 'smooth'.

I understand that, but even so, a hammer-on or pull-off will still put some energy into it, right? In Cherry, the note just fades with zero energy being put back in, and once the note fades to silent that's it. Trying to play a hammer-on or pull-off at that point will just result in more silence. Granted, it might be unusual to play legato for such a long period of time, but it's not impossible that a situation might call for it.

Okay, here's the new NKI:

The legato articulations do not automatically decay in volume--their volume is based on the velocity of the MIDI note, just like the sustain.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Thanks guys for bringing this up and many thanks to Greg for providing the solution so quickly. Kudos to you.

Cheers, Patrick.
Solid State Symphony, Alchemy, Loomer sequent, Cherry Electric bass, CoreBass Cherry, CoreBass Pear, Lots of Kirk Hunter stuff, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 10.12.2, Logic 10.2.4
http://audioscapist.net/
http://www.facebook.com/audioscapist

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”