Hammer-on levels in cherry seem too soft in relation to regular notes

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I play a quick 16th note like C followed by a D, a whole step up, it automatically triggers the hammer-on, sliding up or down to the adjacent note- as you well know.

The levels of this second note are way to soft in context of the first note. If I randomly drop in this bass sound over midi data that I have already played with another sound, the hammer-ons are almost like dropped notes in the context of the song.

I realize that a string loses energy as it is held and becomes softer but I need to manually edit the velocities of any notes that are triggering the hammer on sounds to like 127 and it's still often not enough.

Today I tried out Scarbee's J-bass that also has a similar hammer-on system. The hammer-ons are there, but they are at the same level when playing a regular note, or an adjacent hammer-on note.

I suppose a bunch of compression would fix this, but then dynamics start being lost.

I tried out a couple of other Scarbee basses, and the velocity response is definately a lot smoother between a regular note and a hammer-on.

I still think the Cherry has one of the best tones out there, but I have to put up with this minor aggravation to get it to sit well and not sound like there's dropouts occurring. Usually this means avoiding triggering the hammer-on like the plague:)

I just checked the picked version, and it's even worse. The hammer-on note sounds like 1/3 the volume of the regular note.

Maybe I have an error somewhere, but I have been using Kontakt since version 2 and usually feel like I know what I'm doing:)

I suppose I can go in and boost the levels of the layers that I feel are too soft, but that's kind of a pain. I'm just surprised this hasn't been brought up before. Maybe I got some faulty setting somewhere. No other problems with other sounds though, and I've tried it on two different computers.

There's actually a thread about this very issue:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 84f17761c5

Part of the problem is that the original patches don't factor in the energy added to the string's vibration from hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides, and unless a new non-legato articulation is triggered, the volume will eventually fade all the way to silence. That thread has an alternate patch for the fingered bass that gets rid of the fading. There aren't any for slapped or picked yet, but hopefully we'll see some updates for those in the future, perhaps with the new Cherry update that's coming soon.

I understand what you are saying regarding energy, but if I play a really really short note followed by a legato note within a minor third, triggering the hammer-on, the volume should not have had a chance to decay to like half the amount. It should still be about at the same level.

This is especially obvious with the picked version. I'm not as concerned with the decay as with the hammer-on note volume levels.

Yup, the upcoming update makes velocity correspond with the hammer-on volume, so you can add energy to the line by using a high velocity, for example. Inversely, you can take away energy, as a bassist might do using a soft hammer-on or other legato technique.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

that's good news!

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”