Serious audio problems with Kontakt 5 & Strawberry Electric Guitar

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently purchased both Kontakt 5 and Strawberry Electic Guitar (SEG). I am having serious audio problems with the Orange Tree library. My setup is as follows:

Windows 7-64bit
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core 2.2 Ghz / 4GB RAM
C: (system) Maxtor 40GB
D: (data & programs) Segate/Barracuda 1TB SATA

I also use my Motif XS8 as my audio device. I am connected to the computer via firewire using Yamaha/Steinberg ASIO FW Driver.

Problem: I have loaded several SEG samples and the results are the same. Whenever I play a simple chord and attempt to strum with C1/C#1 the sound breaks up, clicks, pops- it's horrible. Using the sustain pedal also causes this problem when I attempt some simple picking. I don't have this same problem when playing any of the Kontakt Library instruments and I've never had any audio problems in Cubase. I have tried playing with the ASIO buffer size, Intrument DFD, buffer sizes, Engine CPU overload and Multiprocessor support setting, but no luck. I'm not sure if this is a disk IO problem or CPU. I can't tell. The Disk indicator in Kontakt always seems to be active when playing but the CPU indicator always seems to be pegged when the audio problems arise.

I have also disabled all non-essential devices and process- that I could think of. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance- Ralph.

I think it's the CPU. I have tbe Kontakt Engine Monitor visible when I'm playing and the CPU jumps past 100% when the audio problem occurs. I'm not sure if that's good news for me :(

Out of curiosity, what are your latency settings? Also, what is Kontakt's DFD buffer set to?

I've used Strawberry in Kontakt 5, and the CPU usage is identical to that in Kontakt 4 (around 1-2%, and even in an old duo-core XP machine it gets around 3-5%), so I don't think it's due to K5--unless there's some anomaly that arises in certain DAWs or systems.

Speaking of which, does the problem occur in Kontakt's standalone mode as well?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

I would also try using ASIO4ALL as a backup solution. Or perhaps even WASAPI if available.

@Gregjazz- i'm doing a little testing right now and my settings are as follows, but the poor quality is the same
ASIO Setting:
Buffer Size=1024 Samples; Input Lat=24.24msec / Output Lat=26.417 msec
Sample Rate=44.1 kHz

Kontakt Options:
Instrument preload buffer size: override preload size is checked and 240.00 KB (max) is selected
MultiProcessor Support: 4 cores selected

Offline Interposlatoin Qual: high

With these settings and Blank Preset selected. I I play a simple CMaj triad the Engine CPU monitor registers as high as 84%. I also have CPU profiling Mode turned on but the percentage displayed in the instrument quick load section only registers what appears to be no higher than 2.6%. Not sure how this is related to the CPU but it's something I thought maybe worth mentioning

All of my testing thusfar has been in standalone mode.
Last edited by rangelot1 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:I would also try using ASIO4ALL as a backup solution. Or perhaps even WASAPI if available.

Unfortunately neither of these is compatible with my firewire audio interface. I pretty much have to use the Yamaha/Steinberg ASIO interface, but this has never been a source of problems for me in the past

I also just discovered that this audio problem only occurs with the Lead samples. The Rhythym samples appear to function just fine. The CPU load with 4 cores does not exceed 7% when strumming the same CMaj triad.

Do the light lead presets have the same problem?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:Do the light lead presets have the same problem?

yes I beleive they do, but I will confirm for you this evening. Is it possible that there is some low-level programming either in K5 or EEG that is creating this CPU anomaly?
I've also noticed in some of the video tutorials I've watched that K4 is used and I know you said that you have test EEG with K5. Just out of curiosity.... is anyone else using EEG with Kontakt 5 and a quad-core system?
Last edited by rangelot1 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

yes, the problem also occurs with the light presets as well. I tried reinstalling thinking that might help but it didn't. I want to use this instrument so badly but I don't know if it's my system, K5, EEG or some combination of these that is causing this problem. Any ideas?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

With these settings and Blank Preset selected. I I play a simple CMaj triad the Engine CPU monitor registers as high as 84%. I also have CPU profiling Mode turned on but the percentage displayed in the instrument quick load section only registers what appears to be no higher than 2.6%. Not sure how this is related to the CPU but it's something I thought maybe worth mentioning
When you say the "quick load section", do you mean the percentage that's beside the instrument itself? That is, to the immediate right of the patch name.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:
When you say the "quick load section", do you mean the percentage that's beside the instrument itself? That is, to the immediate right of the patch name.
Yes, that is the percentage indicator I'm referring to

And no other instruments/multiscripts are loaded, correct? It's strange, because the percentage next to the instrument is how much CPU Evolution Electric Guitar itself is using. There must be something happening outside of the sample library's scripting, etc., to cause this. I know you mentioned that you messed with the settings, including the multiprocessor support--did you try disabling the multiprocessor support completely?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

No other instruments are loaded that I can tell. Kontakt 5 is the only application that I start after powering on. The next thing that I do is click on one of the Lead samples, wait for it to load, and then start playing. I have tried reducing and disabling the number of cores. I also just installed ASIOFORALL as EvilDragon recommended just to doublecheck if the audio interface is the problem, but I got the same results with the CPU overload.
I really appreciate your help and I really want this problem to go away. I'm wondering if it's the latest version of K5. When it installed I downloaded some updates. The Import Version displayed on Help->About is 3.0.0.14; Processor shows x64(SSE,SSE2,SSE3), I'm hoping somebody has a similar configuration and can verify whether or not this problem is just isolated to me. I hope not!

Did you already try WASAPI instead of ASIO? Just trying to round down what might be causing the problem. :/
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”