Strawberry Sound

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is a song I'm writing, and I'm not sure the sound of the strawberry electric guitar (dramatic lead) sounds right or polished. I used Guitar Rig 5's God's Love preset.

Any tips on whether this could be made to sound better? (especially around time 1 minute)

Thanks.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1168293

You might try varying the velocities of the notes to make the phrases flow a little better. Also, with the fades, have you tried fading the track pre Guitar Rig? That would make it sound more like the guitar player was using the volume knob on the guitar or a volume pedal to fade out notes.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks. Will play with velocities.

I'm not clear though what you mean by fading pre-guitar rig. In my track is the MIDI data and inserted is the Guitar Rig FX on the same track. I also have a volume envelope on this MIDI track, which then goes to the master bus. Also, I don't use a MIDI device. Not sure if that's relevant though. So what are you suggesting I change and where in that sequence? You mean put the Guitar Rig on another track?

Also, I was considering adding a low frequency vibrato to the fades. I tried to use the layer technique but it didn't seem to work.

I went to Layer 1, clicked on the button to activate vibrato, and under mapping I used a velocity range over 100. I assumed that meant when the note had a high velocity the vibrato would kick in, but it didn't.

From this, can you figure what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again.

jimlau wrote:Thanks. Will play with velocities.

I'm not clear though what you mean by fading pre-guitar rig. In my track is the MIDI data and inserted is the Guitar Rig FX on the same track. I also have a volume envelope on this MIDI track, which then goes to the master bus. Also, I don't use a MIDI device. Not sure if that's relevant though. So what are you suggesting I change and where in that sequence? You mean put the Guitar Rig on another track?
Oh! In that case it sounds like you have it right. I just wanted to be sure that the volume changes were happening before Guitar Rig, rather than as a global fade.
jimlau wrote:I went to Layer 1, clicked on the button to activate vibrato, and under mapping I used a velocity range over 100. I assumed that meant when the note had a high velocity the vibrato would kick in, but it didn't.
The amount of vibrato is controlled by whichever CC # you have assigned to it. You can have layers change the overall depth and/or speed of the vibrato, but you'll still need to use a CC # to control the amount of vibrato. (if you go into the "Controllers" section)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

I don't have a MIDI controller. So do I have to draw by hand in the piano roll view a sine pattern in order to get vibrato? Seems very cumbersome. I tried using Kontakt but not much luck there.

Thanks.

Fortunately not--you can just use the mod wheel (CC #1) to add vibrato, which has an automatic sine wave type vibrato curve.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:Fortunately not--you can just use the mod wheel (CC #1) to add vibrato, which has an automatic sine wave type vibrato curve.
Where is this automatic sine wave?

If you increase CC #1 (the mod wheel controller), it should apply automatic vibrato. If you need to adjust the depth and speed, look in the "vibrato" section of the interface.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

i think i got it.

but, if i want to vary the characteristics of vibrato (speed and depth), is that done only via the CC value i draw in? i tried to use mapping for CC#1 to set different layers of different vibrato settings, but it led to odd articulations (i use velocity to trigger different articulations per layer).

could i set layers different from the articulation/velocity layers so they refer only to vibrato performance?

thanks.

Yes, you should be able to assign different vibrato settings to different layers. That being said, you might want to make sure that the CC number for these layers is not the same CC number as the actual vibrato controller (CC #1 by default).

Also, the update for Evolution has just been released! You should have received an email with your download links. If you can't find the email, be sure to check your spam folder as well, or just email me and I'll sort it out.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

i think i got it, except for 1 issue - how do i change the speed of the vibrato within a single note? i use CC2 to establish the speed and depth of the current note. i use CC1 to control how much vibrato within the note. but how do i change the speed within a note?

Just to clarify, is this in the same version as before--the old version--or the new one released today?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

old version. not tried to update yet, mid project.

In that version the speed can't be changed within a note, because the layer system conflicts with Kontakt's automation system. However, in the new version you can just automate the vibrato speed control to a MIDI CC without any problems.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”