Recreating Gray Patchwork in my DAW

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have imported the demo midi file for Gray Patchwork into my DAW (FL Studio) and routed the MIDI to KONTAKT with Lap Steel Guitar loaded.

I am having trouble finding pitch bend settings that work through the whole song. Currently, I have set:

Bend Range 1
Snap To Scale Maj
Snap To Key D
Bend Mode Pre
Bend Time 32nd

This is for the main lead. I've split the high notes track to another channel. I assume this is correct since it has its own pitch/mod data.

Most of the track sounds like the version on orangetreesamples.com, but a few intervals don't bend the same. Am I doing something wrong? Or are some of the scale/key settings automated in the original track? (Data which can't be in the MIDI file.)

Finally, a tip for anyone else trying this in FL 10. The pitch bend settings don't scale properly by default. I had to go to the patterns in the browser, click the channel pitch, then in the editor that pops up, drop down the top left arrow, choose Tools/Scale Levels, and scale the pitch bend data by 1200%. (Takes three passes, 200%, 200%, and 150% since the limit at one time is 200%.) Before I did this the pitch bend "wheel" barely moved in KONTAKT. If there's a better way of doing this let me know.

There should be a .NKA preset in the demo songs folder, which you can load within Lap Steel Guitar to get the exact patch / settings used. To do this, click on the disk icon labeled "Preset" and click "Load Preset".
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Gregjazz wrote:There should be a .NKA preset in the demo songs folder, which you can load within Lap Steel Guitar to get the exact patch / settings used. To do this, click on the disk icon labeled "Preset" and click "Load Preset".
I'm having the same issues. The midi files play but the bend range is way out.
Can you tell me if I've followed your instructions correctly?
I've clicked preset, load preset, and then I navigate to the demo folder. In this there are two .NKA presets, one called main lead.NKA and one called high notes.NKA, that correspond to the two midi channels of the included midi file. So I load the first .NKA, then make another instance of LSG in Kontakt and load the second .NKA into that?
In the Daw, I load up the midi file onto the Kontakt track which gives me two tracks. I set the midi channels for track one and two to correspond to the correct Kontakt presets (ie main lead.NKA mid ch 1, high notes.NKA mid ch 2), and hit play. Both presets play but the bend range is too much so it sounds really out of tune. Do you have to manually adjust the bend settings also as wesmorrison has tried or should this range be adjusted within the preset?

Also, is it possible to provide the other midi tracks for the Gray Patchwork demo as well as the two LSG ones?
In fact could you provide the midi files for all the demos, as it gives a good understanding of how to get the most out of the library.
Thanks

EDIT: The two midi files now play correctly. I reloaded the .NKA's and they worked fine. Not sure if this is a quirk of the DAW (used Studio One 2 Pro for this test), or Kontakt requiring the .NKA files to be loaded last but it works fine now.
I'll leave this post as is. It may help new users who run into the same issue.
Last edited by ph0bic on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'll see if I can find the MIDI for "Offroad Detour", but since I didn't compose the third demo ("Moving On"), I don't have any MIDI for that one.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:I'll see if I can find the MIDI for "Offroad Detour", but since I didn't compose the third demo ("Moving On"), I don't have any MIDI for that one.
Thanks Greg, I really appreciate it. You learn so much by deconstructing the midi files to see how the bends etc all work, it's a really worthwhile exercise.
Also the other midi parts for Grey Patchwork would be useful, as I have EAG SS and Strawberry.

Gregjazz wrote:I'll see if I can find the MIDI for "Offroad Detour", but since I didn't compose the third demo ("Moving On"), I don't have any MIDI for that one.
Hi Greg,
Do you have an update on this?
Thanks

Found it! Here is the MIDI file and corresponding Lap Steel patch:

http://www.orangetreesamples.com/downlo ... Detour.zip

This is an external patch file, meaning you would use the load button within Lap Steel Guitar's own interface in order to load it.

The demo song only uses this patch--there are no external effects or EQ, etc.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:Found it! Here is the MIDI file and corresponding Lap Steel patch:

http://www.orangetreesamples.com/downlo ... Detour.zip

This is an external patch file, meaning you would use the load button within Lap Steel Guitar's own interface in order to load it.

The demo song only uses this patch--there are no external effects or EQ, etc.
Thanks Greg :tu:
BTW did you manage to find the other midi tracks for Gray Patchwork?

I'll look into it--there were some missing files due to me moving sample libraries around. Hopefully there'll be no compatibility issues, since sometimes I use beta version of libraries, etc. That's why I always freeze my tracks, so I at least have the original audio.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”