Question on Humanization in EEG/EAG...

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Greg,

I'm triggering Evolution Acoustic via a MIDI file that I pulled into my DAW that's basically perfectly quantized and with all the notes the same velocity. Are there Humanization features I can use within the Evolution engine to humanize the timing and velocities of this MIDI file, or is that going to be better left to the MIDI Editor within my DAW?

P.S. I use the Humanize knob under Effects but I understand that's for humanizing between the samples when using the double/triple-tracking feature.

There isn't a humanize control for the main note timings and velocities, only for double/triple/quadruple tracking. Come to think of it, Kontakt doesn't include a humanization multiscript, so maybe I'll write one that does simple time/velocity humanization within set ranges. That would probably be the best solution.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, some DAWs have "MIDI effects", including built-in humanization. Have you checked to see if your DAW has that functionality or not?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks for the quick reply, Greg. Yes I have Logic so the MIDI tweakability is actually quite vast - which is exactly why I was asking about the ability for the Evolution engine to do it... b/c the Transform function of Logic (which is used to make these tweaks to MIDI) is really quite daunting and intimidating, albeit functional. I'll search for some video tutorials on the Transform functionality and it would probably be good for me to learn anyway. But just wanted to check first with you to see if there was an easier way in the Evolution engine.

Automated humanization scripts never sound human, so don't expect too much.

A far better solution, if possible, is to actually play the part yourself. If you're not a keyboard player, you don't have to get it perfect - you can correct your mistakes in the PRV later.

If latency makes live playing impractical, use a hardware synthesizer as an intermediate step. All of them have some sort of passable acoustic and electric guitar patches. I work out the part on a real synth, record it as MIDI, route it to EEG and then make tweaks to the MIDI track to get the best effect from the library. The result may not sound like Steve Vai, but it will sound like a human created it.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”