Evolution Guitars - Playing the right chords without poly strings?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings Evolution Strawberry

I do not know anything about guitars, so i will probably use the wrong terminology- so fair warning.

I picked up the Evolution Guitars bundle, and although I am a keyboard player I want to use the Evolution instruments as closely as a real guitar player might, in terms of forming chords. So, I have poly strings disabled and I can figure out the right notes to play on the keyboard for chords that can be made in the first five frets or so, but I haven't figured out the right way to do this:

The G chord, circled in red, I can play on the Evolution guitars just fine. But how do I play the E minor chord as shown, with B on the 8th fret and A on the 7th? Like, what notes would I have to play on a MIDI keyboard, and how would I indicate the frets to use?

I've found the Fret Position control, but I don't understand how that translates to a chord made from different frets.

Also, if the Fret Position control is somehow the answer, how would I play the passage above, where the first few chords happen in the upper few frets and the following chords are played further down the neck? Do I have to automate the Fret Position?

That one really is a bit tricky. What you could probably do is use the MIDI guitar mode, where each string responds to a single MIDI channel (1-6), and then enter the desired note(s) on the appropriate MIDI channel.

If you want this played in realtime, I dunno how you could do that live, honestly. I'll leave that answer to Greg.

It's tricky, but try enabling the open strings mode. That will let you play the open G string in both circled chords, but still use a high enough fretting position to play the other notes. You could automate the fretting position control, but as EvilDragon says, in this case it would probably be better to just use the MIDI guitar mode--that way you can control each string on a separate MIDI channel.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Those were crazy fast replies! I skipped over the "MIDI Guitar" documentation since I was playing from a keyboard, but that does sound like a solid way to go, thanks.

Bear in mind that you can automate the MIDI guitar setting to switch back and forth--that's handy if there's only a small section of your guitar track that needs such specific string/fret usage, and would like to use the automatic handling for the rest of the track.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”