Question about instrument updates backwards compatibility

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

there are engine updates available for many of the guitars. Are they backwards compatible? I.e.
- will Cubase existing projects produce the exact same sound as before?
- will user snapshots within the nki still be there and produce the same sound as before?
- will nkm multi snapshots using the instrument produce the same sound as before?

(The reason I ask is that I installed Kontakt and Strawberry on a laptop, and the snapshots and multi snapshots I made have some tiny issues. When opening an nkm I get the missing samples dialog (despite that I already batch resaved Strawberry on the laptop). The opened snapshot then shows the "Play" setup somewhat screwed, there are some velocity ranges that I didn't define in the original.
Both Kontakt and Strawberry on the new laptop are newer versions compared to the PC. That's why I thought that maybe the Strawberry update could cause problems with my snapshots and multi snapshots.)

If you're concerned about backwards compatibility for older projects, it would be best to install the newer version in a separate folder. That way your older projects still reference the older version of the library--most notably the NKR resources file, since the NKI instrument itself is stored inside your project file itself.

That being said, we have implemented a system to automatically fast-forward snapshots created in older versions of the libraries. For example, when we added the spring reverb effect module, it will transfer settings from the old spring reverb knob to the new one. Also, new controls, such as the legato volume slider, will revert to the default setting because older snapshots won't have anything set for that.

The "files missing" message sounds like a different issue, since the samples haven't changed in the latest update. Make sure that there's a "Samples" subfolder (in the library's main folder) that has one or more NKX sample monolith files.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Can there be a way to indicate on the instrument download page the version number? Sometime I can't remember if I've installed an update or not and I think the "Update Available" label in the download section aren't always accurate.

The "update available" label just compares the date that the latest version was released with the last time you downloaded it, so it should be accurate, but you're right, it would be best if there were an actual version number on the page. I'll put that on the list of things to improve for the website.

As a side note, we're also adding a subtle label to the interface itself with the version number as well, since Kontakt's status bar is such a transitory area to display that information.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

That sounds great! Thanks!

[quote="Gregjazz"]If you're concerned about backwards compatibility for older projects, it would be best to install the newer version in a separate folder. That way your older projects still reference the older version of the library--most notably the NKR resources file, since the NKI instrument itself is stored inside your project file itself.

That being said, we have implemented a system to automatically fast-forward snapshots created in older versions of the libraries. For example, when we added the spring reverb effect module, it will transfer settings from the old spring reverb knob to the new one. Also, new controls, such as the legato volume slider, will revert to the default setting because older snapshots won't have anything set for that.
/quote]

Thanks for the answer! I'd like to avoid having duplicate installations for updates, since there have been / will be several updates, that would just create too much copies that waste space. From your description it sounds like everything should be compatible, right? So I'd rather give it a try and overwrite things.

Gregjazz wrote:As a side note, we're also adding a subtle label to the interface itself with the version number as well, since Kontakt's status bar is such a transitory area to display that information.
Finally! :) Took you long enough ;)

EvilDragon wrote: Finally! :) Took you long enough ;)
:hihi:
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”