Changing in and out of chord mode

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!

I've bought all of the evolution guitars and have used them a bit, but still haven't figured out this one thing.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to go in and out of chord mode with midi commands? Typically in a song, I will alternate between some chord mode and having it disabled (f.ex. between verse / chorus). To do that, I currently have two instances of whatever evolution guitar it is I'm using, one in chord mode and one with chord mode disabled.

Kontakt offers a midi learn functionality for a lot of VST controls, but not for changing chord modes. Yet, using two instances of the guitars inherently seems bad practice for various reasons.

So is it possible to turn chord mode on or off using midi?

As far as I know, it's not possible to automate chord modes in the Evolution engine.

However, there are some benefits to having two tracks, the main being mixing. With one track you're limited to using the same set of channel strip plugins. With two it's easy to add different plugins, volume, and pan position without automation.

Multiple instances clutters kontakt somewhat and it's an extra track, or two in my case as I usually use routing to separate midi and audio and have at least one track for each.

Regarding your own suggestion, it sounds like it would still be preferable to automate chord modes and route the guitar audio to more tracks if needed.

Another concern might be hardware requirements for running two instances of the same guitar VST. My PC has no troubles with this, but I guess it could be an issue. I'm not entirely sure of what happens when you load another instance of the same VST.. A lot of the things loaded into RAM would be the same/overlap (samples f.ex.) so perhaps the computer/software is economic enough to realize this and so loading instance nr. 2 is "cheaper" than loading instance nr. 1? If not, they would both put the same strain on your computer's resources.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Either way, chord mode automation would be great - just in case anyone from OTS reads this!

Have you sent a query to the support? As far as I know, Greg is very helpful, and as a major customer of the Organge Tree, your voice certainly will be heard. Maybe even include you suggestion to the future product development scheme. :phones:

Yeah these buttons are not automatable. It could be possible if Greg added a hidden slider that is also automatically linked to one of automation slots, so you could change the chord mode on the fly...

toretorden wrote: Another concern might be hardware requirements for running two instances of the same guitar VST. My PC has no troubles with this, but I guess it could be an issue. I'm not entirely sure of what happens when you load another instance of the same VST.. A lot of the things loaded into RAM would be the same/overlap (samples f.ex.) so perhaps the computer/software is economic enough to realize this and so loading instance nr. 2 is "cheaper" than loading instance nr. 1? If not, they would both put the same strain on your computer's resources.
Testing now In Logic, a new track with Kontakt (I'm using the Songwriter in this test) uses an additional 230 megabytes of RAM. Adding more instances within the same Kontakt window to make a multi doesn't seem to change anything.

Because when you load Kontakt on a new track, it cannot share samples, it's a new instance. If you just load the same patch twice, samples and graphics won't be loaded multiple times - they are referenced from the same memory pool then, which is taken by that one particular Kontakt instance.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”