New Metal Tune, Drop A, check it out

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/monkeyman ... _climb.mp3

There is the link above. It's about 6MB, encoded at 192Kbps. Genre would be alterenative metal or something... It's fairly different I suppose. I am the artist and the track is called Exponential Climb. Let me know what you think.

Overall I like it, the one guitar tone I didn't like. The solo tone. Just odd to me.
What strings do you use to get down to A? I tune to C and use Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinkys". When I tell someone I tune to C they're like "Wha!?" then I tell them I tune my bass down to G. You probably use a seven though right?

Negative on the 7 string, I don't really like the feel of them. I use a Baritone though, string set is 14 to 68 guage. I am going to redo the lead tone, basically take out the chorus effect, leave the delay and turn down the gain a smidge.

I agree with what cbp says about the guitar tone... it sounds to cold and noisy to my ears, but overall great track.

yeah, just a little too distracting, expecially in the intro, too loud, slightly out of tune maybe?

I also should say that I really never did much as far as leads... Mostly melodies and such. I've always been more of a rhythem section kind of person, but I gave it a shot. Hopefully when I redo the lead parts, it will sound better...

What about the rhythem distortion tone, does that sound good to you folks? It seems pretty hard to get a sound I can back 100%. I like how it is now, but sometimes I think it could be a bit more chug sounding.

I like the rhythm guitar sounds. What hardware do you use to record it?
"People on forums are dicks."

Pod XT Pro going into a Presonus Firepod, then through that Voxengo Curve EQ to boost the areas where it need and cut the areas it needs.

Hey, I was looking at the firepod (before I had to start paying tuition), whats you review of it? Is it everything you wanted and more?

Edit: My PC isn't compatable :(
Last edited by circuitbentpirate on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People on forums are dicks."

damn, thats quite a buzz saw of a guitar! something about the mix isnt sitting right with me though. perhaps the kerchunk (and mabey the bass?) is too loud. i think it/they may be drowning out the other instruments and taking some of the punch away from the drums.

-ugo

I thought the Firepod would work with just about anything as long as you have a firewire port.

Ugo, I think your right, the bass is too loud... Also, the bass low end may be a bit high. I'm not sure what you mean about the kerchunk?

vocals were outstanding....... :hihi: :wink:
seriously, get some vocals on that thing. i still can't decide if i liked the guitar tone or not. it is pretty cut throat, but i think that's what i like about. it never really gets too sloppy, but maintains that buzzsaw sound (as ugo said). overall the track itself is great. very dynamic, never gets dull, except the end, but i'm guessing that's what you were going for (not dull, but a kind of calming down).

i'll take more please. and another firepod user here as well. that thing kicks ass doesn't it? :evil:

lates

t-willy

A+ for the Firepod... It's such a good deal, especially the price when you compare to it the compition, or even the firebox...

So, is the buzzsaw a good thing?

I don't know about doing vocals on it... I'm not even sure what would work for it. And yes, the end is kind of a calming down period. Thanks for the input guys... I still have to go back and turn the bass down a bit and take a bit of the low end out of it.

i think maybe it could use a little more definition in the bass. the chunky "duh-duh-duh (pause) duh-duh-duh" stuff didn't have as much melodic definition to it as i would like. what i mean is it doesn't sound like a specific note (if that makes sense?). also i second the call for vocals.

i did a little quick & stupid analysis of the low end of the opening on this Fear Factory track called Damaged (which to my ears has a little bit better sounding chug). it appears that the Fear Factory track's bass part is only audible from about 125 to 315 Hz (as EQing this range out makes it impossible to tell where the bass comes in). the kick drum appears to be generally defined at like 80 Hz and below (it of course has transients higher, but i mean it appears that this range in the mix is pretty exlusively the kick's). the guitar seems to occupy everything above 320 Hz or so.
i hope these EQ info may help you mix even better :)

Return to “Music Cafe”