emotive ambient: clouds of drone + grand piano

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

An unreleased new song. My best sound design to date...

http://www.saudade.ca/TotellyouIwasthere.mp3

Enjoy !!

Visit the link in my signature to download my first 8 song CD free of charge.

Nice piece - great use of convolution!

One suggestion for you though: convolution can cause resonances on frequencies that are common between the signal and IR. These resonances may be musical, or they may cause harshness. In a few places there are some basso rumbles that feel out of place, which I presume got there as artifacts of the convolution process. Likewise, there are some high frequency whistlers that a little bit of surgical eq can tame.

So anyway my suggestion: always include some parametric eq after the convolution engine so you can correct some of the weirdnesses convolution can cause.

Or, if those weirdnesses were intentional, ignore my senseless babbling ... :hihi:

Nice track!

Yes, nice track. I, too, noticed the rumbling, very rumbly indeed, but I don't think they are out of place. I'll be checking out your other tracks.

Cheers,
Steve

dburgan wrote: One suggestion for you though: convolution can cause resonances on frequencies that are common between the signal and IR. These resonances may be musical, or they may cause harshness. In a few places there are some basso rumbles that feel out of place, which I presume got there as artifacts of the convolution process. Likewise, there are some high frequency whistlers that a little bit of surgical eq can tame.
I quite like the bass rumbles but I hear you on the "high frequency whistlers" as they can be quite an exercise in aural tolerance in certain places. I agree with your recommendation that some EQ would help.

Thanks so much for the responses everyone.

i enjoyed the composition ...

as mentioned above , some EQ would do wonders for the mix ...
right now , it has a bit of a 'nasal' quality ...

normal wrote:right now , it has a bit of a 'nasal' quality ...
:shock:

Not sure why, but this struck me as an amusing description..

:hihi:

Let's start a 'Nasal Decongestant' thread in production techniques..

Sicklecell666 wrote:
normal wrote:right now , it has a bit of a 'nasal' quality ...
:shock:

Not sure why, but this struck me as an amusing description..

:hihi:

Let's start a 'Nasal Decongestant' thread in production techniques..
[joe pesci mode on] i amuse you ?...[joe pesci mode off]

:x :x :x

:lol:

Return to “Music Cafe”