Not A Techno Track - Ambient? Electro? or What?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I recently came out and admitted I know nothing about the current state of genres and sub-genres, but at one time I would have called a track like this one "techno". Feel free to correct me...

Starts semi-beatless with sort of an ambient/atmospheric feel and builds.

Interalias

7.44 MB
128 bit .mp3
Last edited by polyslax on Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Nice sounds, very cool slow buildup! Made my playlist this week, mate.
Excellent.
Rakkervoksen

it isn't techno..it's "ambient"

electro sort of..

Hovmod wrote:Nice sounds, very cool slow buildup! Made my playlist this week, mate.
Excellent.
Hovmod, glad you're enjoying it, thanks!
snooky wrote:it isn't techno..it's "ambient"

electro sort of..
Thanks for clearing that up! :) So... ambient-electro it is!
Image Image

Wow!

I for one certainly would say drop the 'techno'-bit in the title as it might put people on the wrong track and maybe less listeners.

Still listening to it now a few times, it would in a sense be still techno as I hear influences or Stacey Pullen and Carl Craig, where that essential 'party'-techno beat/bass-drive is missing, but certainly is not

Perhaps as a former house-DJ this brings back memories, but I just must say that arrangement wise/tension wise I very much like the build up in this. It certainly has an ambient flavour, but still not overly as long pads are a missing item here as well.

Erm, before I get on with my usual babbling I best say I very much enjoyed this listen and wouldn't mind at one point in time take a go at remixing this. Then again I wish I could make that promise to do it soon, but there's just too many projects going on.

Seeeeeee, I'm babbling again

errrrrr.... great track :)

Thanks mystahr! I've taken your advice and changed the subject. Let me know if you're interested in a remix. Cheers!
Image Image

It sounds as something that could have been on LFO's first album (that means very good). they used to call their music "House". :)

bitfreak8 wrote:It sounds as something that could have been on LFO's first album (that means very good). they used to call their music "House". :)
Ok, another option! Thanks for your comments!!
Image Image

Very nice and punchy sort of sound. I love the overall tone of it. I gotta say it really reminds me of a track off the old Psychic TV album "the Infinite Beat"...the beat and bass line seem almost identical. They used to call it "acid-house" back then....but I think that term came to mean something else. I too am not familiar with current genres.

cool tune, not really techno at all.

hangs together really well, very minimal at first and then gets quite a funky feel.

the subtle acid style lines from around 4:30 are very cool.

8)

steve.

What... is... house? Duh, duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh... Aah, good old LFO

Thanks for listening everyone, I really appreciate the feedback!

Not any closer to understanding genres unfortunately, but it seems I have some company anyways. :)
Image Image

Well, I'd call it ambient electronica. It doesn't really fit current genre classifications... techno, house, etc. People might stick it in electro because of the lack of a four-on-the-floor beat, but it's not really electro. In summary, genre classifications... who needs 'em! :D

if you expect ambience, its Great! If you expect something to cheer you up, its not too good... *g*
Jonamb aka. JustJ
Stream my tunes

Return to “Music Cafe”