First Post - Instrumental Rock

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not real up-to-date on genres, but I think of this as an instrumental rock ballad. It's the first thing I've composed and recorded in about fifteen years and surprise; it sounds a lot like my old stuff. Oh, well.

I'm looking for advice on the mix. I exported out of Cubase after recording the external synth and didn't play with the faders. I've never really trusted my mixing ear and I tend to like snares that sound like cannons.

Come Away With Me
44.1 160kbps around 5 mins @ 6 meg

The mix sounds really great on the cheap speakers I'm currently listening to. I would maybe even turn the snares up just the slightest bit. Let me guess....is it an Ibanez or a Jackson? Or am I way off? :shock:

Sounds very similar to my first song I did on computers after a 15 years of pause.
It's a lot of fun jamming along these slow moving pads.
The mix is OK, of course you can always improve on it.
Personally I would boost the highs and compress the drums a little to get more sparkle on them.
Also the bass could stick out more but then again it all depends on the tools you use.
In any event keep them coming, you will have a lot of fun on the way.
Also try the KVR monthly competition.
It's a great way to get things moving once you have these rules and time constraints.

SK-1 wrote:Let me guess....is it an Ibanez or a Jackson? Or am I way off? :shock:
LOL Good guess. 1987 Ibanez RG-550. The flanged rythm was a strat.

AndrewSimon wrote:Sounds very similar to my first song I did on computers after a 15 years of pause.
It's a lot of fun jamming along these slow moving pads.
The mix is OK, of course you can always improve on it.
Personally I would boost the highs and compress the drums a little to get more sparkle on them.
Also the bass could stick out more but then again it all depends on the tools you use.
In any event keep them coming, you will have a lot of fun on the way.
Also try the KVR monthly competition.
It's a great way to get things moving once you have these rules and time constraints.
I always worry about the high end being too loud when I mix because in college I learned my hearing starts to tail off around 6k and is pretty much gone by 10k. Then I put the thing in Winamp and the VU meters are barely moving on the right side. Turns out, nobody can hear the high end -- it isn't there! Glad to know I can try adding some. I think I'll play with the bass and see if I can get more mid-range into it without making it too funky.

Thanks for the listen and comments.

hey nice music and cool guitar playing.
I've had a listen on my KRK V8 series II monitors which tend to have a lot of top end and although the mix sounds a little light on for highs on them I suspect you could pull top end up a bit for general HiFi listening.

Otherwise, very enjoyable. Looking foward to the next one.

SynthAholic

SynthAholic wrote:hey nice music and cool guitar playing.
Thanks. :)

I dunno dude, I think it needs more guitars

I do hear a dif between us tho....
u can play a guitar whereas I just beat on mine...
for entertaining porpoises only

I thought about replacing those pesky drums with another guitar, but ran out of time.

You play fine. And beat fine, as well. :wink:

BTW,
Liked yer tune, production and playing

:hihi:
I'm thinking the guitar IS a percussion instrument

This is what I usually use as percussion

:bang:
for entertaining porpoises only

Return to “Music Cafe”