Copyright Query

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all...Im thinking about uploading a few of my tunes to Soundclick and was just wondering if the following is legal or a breach of copyright stuff...

1.)Alot of my tunes have samples in them taken from films..dialogue mostly, is this ok?

2.)In a couple of my acid tunes I have used famous 303 riffs (midi file played through Audiorealism bassline) for example the "everybody needs a 303" pattern..can people copyright a sequence of notes?? or would it only be illegal if Id actually sampled the tune it came from ..

Many thanx in advance :)

27 views and no one can give me some advice?
I took a sawtooth wave off this Pantomime4, looped it back, mixed it with the sound of this crab committing suicide and let it stew in its own reverb for about 3 hours, then I pumped it all out through this shoe to give it that oak'y timbre.

[Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer]

IMO, the answer to both is that it qualify as "derivative work", use the exact term in google if you want more info, and if you go by the letter of the law, you need the copyright holder authorization to publish such work unless it is in the public domain. I don't know if a short series of notes can be protected by copyright and how many exact notes are needed, a scary concept if you ask me, but a midi file is certainly protected.

Of course, if the sampled material is mangled beyond recognition, who's to say what you started with exactly; your own judgment is best in such a case.
Quote of the day: "If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names."--Elbert Hubbard 1856-1915

Return to “Music Cafe”