New Analog Sequencer Means New Music (with added vurt!)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tconrardy wrote:had a listen

Nice sequencer work..how many stage is that?..so it sounds like you are aDDING STAGES BY HAND ( PRE-PROGRAMMED OF COURSE) ( opps capps off..sorry) and also adjusting the delay time. is the delay a module, or on your board?

Tim
Thanks, Tim! The sequencer is a 1:1 clone of the Moog 960, even down to the incandescent lamps instead of the usual LEDs. That means that it has three rows of eight steps each. Uisng the 962, you can alternate rows, giving you up to 24 steps.

I am indeed changing and rearranging the pattern on the fly. You can change the length of the pattern by flicking a switch below a given step, and you can skip steps. You can also create a patch with the 962 that allows you to play, say, steps 1-8, then 6-8, or whatever.

In addition, each stage has a separate trigger input and output. That means that you can send individual triggers out so that a different row plays a different rhythmic pattern from any other. These can also be routed through a 961 interface and then sent to more oscillators to play a different part (that's what i did here). It really is versatile, and lends itself to live performance. You can get a taste of it with the Arturia Moog Modular V, but that plug lacks the 961 and 962 modules that add so much functionality. This is only a little of what it can do. Take a look here to see more:

http://www.synthesizers.com/q960.html

You are right about the delay. I have a Blacet Time Machine analog delay module custom formatted to the Dotcom specs. It CV inputs to control all of its functions, though in this case, I was simply adjusting the mix and regeneration level by hand.
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

emdot_ambient wrote:I ain't licking my screen . . . don't want to get those jacks wet!

Ayway, I make it a habit never to lick anything in a room with purple plush carpet on the walls and ceiling :shock: :-o

BTW . . . is that an ARP Omni to the lower left?
It aint carpet... :lol: My walls are painted that way. My buddy says it's like stepping into a diseased lung...

Yep, ARP Omni II...great sound, more often on the fritz than not! I recently, at long last, got it all fixed up again, and sampled tons of stuff from it that I will eventually post (it's all looped and edited...I just gotta map it all out. I got all the sounds from a battered ProSoloist at the same time).

By the way...I saw you mentioned Richard Pinhas in another thread! Wow! I rarely encounter anyone who knows of him. A major influence on me.

Scot Solida wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:...I make it a habit never to lick anything in a room with purple plush carpet on the walls and ceiling
It aint carpet... :lol: My walls are painted that way. My buddy says it's like stepping into a diseased lung...
Okay, I make it a habit never to lick diseased lungs even more than purple shag!
Scot Solida wrote:Yep, ARP Omni II...great sound, more often on the fritz than not! I recently, at long last, got it all fixed up again, and sampled tons of stuff from it that I will eventually post (it's all looped and edited...I just gotta map it all out. I got all the sounds from a battered ProSoloist at the same time).
I always liked the sound of ARPs over Moogs, though I've always wanted a big modular, and adore the old TD/Schulze Moog work (both used ARPs as well, though). But the only ARPs I have are two Axxes and a 1623 sequencer. I keep meaning to sample the Axxes and make a monster dual Axxe bass instrument in Kontakt but there's always other stuff to do . . . they need some work as well.
Scot Solida wrote:By the way...I saw you mentioned Richard Pinhas in another thread! Wow! I rarely encounter anyone who knows of him. A major influence on me.
A lot of people know Heldon, though, and that's pretty much the same thing. I don't have a lot of his solo work but both me and my wife love his stuff. He's highly underrated, and probably the only professor of philosophy that's made an impact on the music scene.

It's just not fair :cry:
So beautiful this is and soooooo bad for the wallet and wishlist

That picture always gets me drooling :hihi:

Good thing I have just confirmed on the 12month-installments 8)

Now how to be patient for a year.....

Thanks Mystahr! And congrats on the 12-month plan! You will love it. Mind you, you will become a hopeless module addict in no time at all!

Never fear, you can get an awful lot of music made with only a few initial modules. That, in fact, is probably the best way to go. You will know each one inside and out and learn all sorts of tricks before the next module arrives. Also, lots of Dotcommers sell off older modules to other Dotcommers as they get new ones in (I am selling one of my Q-119s next week, becasue I haven't got room in my system for three sequencers at the moment, and I can't bear to see it not being used). Some of the prices can be quite reasonable.

Give it a year and a half...you'll have a system twice the size of mine! :o

Scot Solida wrote:Thanks, Soniccat! While I haven't got a new pic, you know danged well that it takes little prodding for me to whip out the old one (groans from the folks who have seen it once too often):

Go on, lick the screen! You know you want to! :hihi:

Now those blanks in the middle are gone, and many modules have been replaced with others. I have a bunch in the closet, but no room for them in the cabinets...

:o :o :o

Feck. Last time I saw that pic I wound up with a modular myself. If you keep posting that, Scot, Im gonna be bankrupt.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

wow ...

lurv the drifty intro ...
the sequencer build can only mean that the truck filled w/ the old dynamite is about to explode ...

crisp production , as usual ...

Thanks, normal! I am really enjoying the new sequencer...I have started two new tracks since I finished this one... The sequencer as a performance instrument...I had forgotten what that was like!

Well,congrats there Scot on your new seqr.
I love HW type seq`ing...but as far as drooling over that moog,for me,I have enough damn wires to patch around here and i`d never get anything done if I had to look at all those moog patch cable possibilities! haha

As for the HW seq`ing sound I like...i`ve deside to stick with a deticated pc,(my net pc),running "SQ4" and then control it/set it up with a hand held pen video tablet.
I love dials,but for the money and flexibility,I have to say no to a hardware midi seqr controller.

Can wait to hear you REALLY go to other places with your sound now that your a bit nore plugged in.
Wish you well with it. : )
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Thanks, annode, ET! annode: The dedicated PC and SQ4 have one major advantage over the hardware variety: you don't get a sore shoulder from reaching up to the top row to tune the knobs... :lol:

You must have a ladder near

mystahr wrote:You must have a ladder near
No, no ladder. I am about 6 feet tall (though I think I have lost nearly an inch to age!), and my system tops out just at the "ouch" level. I can reach the top row of knobs, but I take care to put modules up there that don't require constant attention and tweaking. For instance, I have a second sequencer that I primarily use for filters and such (easier to tune than oscillator pitch!), plus a fixed filter bank and four oscillators that I use primarily as dedicated LFOs. The 960 sequencer was moved to the fourth row pretty quick, since I found I wanted to "play" it all the time. Still a little strain, but not too much.

I just checked.....

I would be able to reach 5 units high :D

Return to “Music Cafe”