My first album

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I finaly have an albums worth of material, it's only taken me 5 years :roll: It's still work in progress as I need to fix a few issues with the odd track and at just under 75 mins running time I may have to cut a track or two. Any feedback would be great i.e which tracks to drop, running order, labels that might like it, etc.

If your a fan of Down Tempo, Ambient, IDM you may like it.

You can listen to the whole album at 128k on my artist page:

http://www.planetbliss.co.uk/pure.htm

The lo-fi links are not online yet.

Or on my last.fm page:

http://www.last.fm/music/Planet%20Bliss ... eleased%29

If you use the last.fm link you will need to sign up and download their player. It's a cool site though. You can install their audioscobbler plugin into Winamp and Windows Media player to keep tabs on the music you play. Since using the site I have been convinced to buy "A Strangely Isolated Place" by Ulrich Schnauss. First CD I have bought in two years!

Or you can download the whole album in a zip file (68.3mb) I will only keep this link online for a week or two:

http://www.planetbliss.co.uk/esdemo.zip

Also, what do you think of my cover idea:

http://www.planetbliss.co.uk/es2.jpg

Or the Orange! version:

http://www.planetbliss.co.uk/es.jpg
Funk Station - Online Sampling Resource

Planet Bliss - Chilled Electronic

1. Star - lush, good groove/build up. I have generally take issue with the repetitive loops, but the "star" loop isn't too bad. Probably a little to present for my taste. AWESOME beat at 3:23 - not the 4 to the floor that I anticipated, instead that deep bass groove. What did you use for that bass sound? It cuts really well in the mix.

2. System Shock - good sound scape. I love the subtle drum/percussion sounds that you add/shift in the mix. The transitions from section to section are silky, especially the one half way through (around 2:50), just when you though we lost the groove, bam.

3. Firenze - good grooves, soundscapes. What is that "wet" sound in there? Definetly adds character. Then that beautiful meloidy @ 1:30. Bass is subtle, yet keeps the groove grooving. The piano chords are really tasty.

4. Sion - start is a little jarring after Firenze. But one thing is clear at this point - you are a Pad jedi. Great introduction of the beat. Nice groove transition at 2:00ish. Totally moving when the bass kicks in at 3:33. Nice piano transistion out.

5. One Perfect Day - man what a great groove space. This one is more musically interesting to me because of the chord changes. That sweet bassline. Feel alittle weird about the introduction of the groove, then totally move away to the string/pad space. I remember listening to this when you first posted it. Still dig it.

6. Reliant - I dig the deep bass groove.

7. Oceanic - Apatly named, very underwater feel. I love the basslines in this one! Nice layered drums.

8. Electronic Somewhere - Feels like a continuation of Oceanic.

9. Under Stone - liked when the rhodes came in. Not really drawn in before that. Isn't my favorite soundscape in terms of choice of sounds (Which means I only "like it", instead of drooling overmyself with glee). Squishy drums are pretty fun though.

10. Join Us - I guess this is when the walls start melting. . . this is first track that really feels more the like trip hop to me.

11. Farsight - I'm just floating listening to this one. Smile on my face. Awesome drum layers. Builds nicely. Man, those pads!

12. Shine - Got more of that ocean feel to it, with a cross section of Orbital. Altough I want that kick drum to come pounding through. This would be a good track to end on, IMO.

13. Fluidic - Lush. Then Gated. Morphing. Finally get those drums, although I could use a drum build up into the beat.

Damn, that was a lot of music. I would cut that last track off the CD. I really feel that Shine is a good note to end on.

You have inspired me. Your music is accessible yet complex, something I'm always striving for. Your LUSH sound scapes, always delicately crafted, lots going on, never overwhelming, or distracting from melody lines. Your drums are never 4 to the floor, always groovin, with bass always complimenting the groove. The tracks seem to flow effortlessly, as sign of a lot of carefully crafted transitions. Great dynamic range of the tracks - good balance between low end/high end. The only criticism I have is that the music very repetitive in nature. Yet I was rarely tired of what I was hearing. It has a characteristic sound that makes it fairly identifiable. I can easily believe that what I heard was a 5 year effort. It is really polished. The songs are varied enough to keep my attention. I was coding while listening (and taking notes!) and it just helped me find a flow to what I was doing.

I would pay for this CD. Its going right on the iPod. Now this is after only one listen, and it will get many more. I'm really not normally so "gushing" (you can verify this by looking at other postings :) ). You should be proud of this one.

Let me know if you ever want to collaborate.
find your flow, eight albums of mellow beats: www.generalfuzz.net

I like the non-orange logo better. I'm waiting for the tracks to download and then I'll listen and give a detailed report. Usually I don't download such large files but the review from GeneralFuzz convinced me to try it :)

Electronic Somewhere
It really does seem waterish at the beginning, maybe doesn't give the title justice. The Drumline is stunning, what effect is that, like a combo between filtering and tempo modulation? I almost thought the FL WaveTraveller with some exotic effects....

Farsight
The intro pad is very nice, but other than that, this was the only song that started to get kinda boring. I would cut this one, if any.

Firenze
Just awesome drumwork again. The background effects blend well with the main synth.

Fluidic
This is a good song with a good melody but it's just one step up from Farsight.

Join Us
Interesting Intro, and a pretty neat pad.

Oceanic
Yes, the name really does fit the song, very waterish. Nice background pad. About 3/4 through it somewhat reminded me of the background music from the Water Tempel level in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Oh, and I think thats a good thing, the music in that game was absolutely perfect.

One Perfect Day
Very nice feel, and an awesome drum/bass line. At around 3:20 the background pad seems a bit loud (although its already quite a bit subdued), but I guess thats just personal opinion, a very good song nonetheless!

Reliant
I really can't say much more about this one except that the melody, especially at the end, was very catchy. Very nice!

Shine
Would be a good ending song, I think. Anybody notice that on almost every professional album the last track is the second best on the album? :)

Sion
Nice Bass, Perfect for the first track.

System Shock
This is the perfect song for the second track :). I like how the bass blends so subtly with the rest, and I just love the synth about halfway through.

Under Stone
Ok, I am at a loss for words, this track has got to be the most beautiful ever. Wow. I'm listening to it again while writing the forum post :). And after. Wow. Just ... wow. Wow.

You're a Star
Awesome bass line, and the LFO on the synth really helps the flow. The vocals sound pretty cool.

Yes, I would pay for this CD as well. If I had an iPod, I would put it on :). In the meanwhile, I'm just listening to Under Stone and wishing I could be that good :P

Do tell, what did you use to make this? Which sequencer, and which plugins, or hardware, if any?

:shock: Thanks for the kind comments arke, Fuzz!
Do tell, what did you use to make this? Which sequencer, and which plugins, or hardware, if any?
Propellerheads Reason for all tracks bar "Join Us" which was created using Acid Pro. I have used a few bit's of hardware, Alesis QS7, Micro Q, Supernova 2, Technics WSA1.

Cool stuff :). I've used both Reason and Acid, each one has its strengths. I really wish there was a way to combine the step sequencer of FL, the play list of Acid, and the rack of Reason into one super product. I'd buy it. :)

Care for a collab? :P

I enjoyed the album a lot too, some very sweet moments. I like the interplays of melodies and light, dreamy sounds that occur often in the songs. Some clever moments where you use filter manipulation to introduce energy and grooves is also appreciated as the others have pointed out.

I think it would be worth paying for this album so you should try your hand at selling it. Thanks for sharing it with us here at KVR.

I feel like sharing my work too now.. hehe.

I feel like sharing my work too now.. hehe.
You should do!

If anyone is a member of last.fm, or does not mind joining I could do with a favour. On the top right of this page:

http://www.last.fm/music/Planet%20Bliss ... eleased%29

There are four icons. The second one along should open up the tag box. Could you please, please add electronic as a tag :D

Your a Star - I really like the buildup in this track. Although very calming, it has a very hig degree of rising tension. I can see this being an opening track very easily. If you wanted to put it somewhere other than track 1, I might reccomend cutting a lot of the intro out. The vocals are really nicely done as well. I would, however, reccomend cutting a lot of the outro out, and maybe having an unexpected jump to track 2.

System Shock - I must say I agree that this would be a good second track. It's rythm and overtone are the perfect follow up to almost anything you would want to open up with. I really like the synth buildup after the pads around 2:45. Thats a perfect transition.

Firenze - I can hear some aliasing going on here. The track has a decent overtone, but for some reason it starts to get a tad boring rather quickly. Im not particularly a fan of what the lead is doing at 1:30, either. I would probably cut this track.

Sion - I can see this track somewhere around 5 or 6. It has a nice feel to it. I really like guitar sample you faintly have in the left channe. I do suggest a crossfade of some sort into this from the track just before it on the final version. I really like that lead around 2:50 as well. When that faint vocal sample comes in its a perfect fit. Overall I like everything about this track.

One Perfect Day - Track 3, definately. It has good contrast and similarities to System Shock, and it would be the perfect track to follow it. This is a beautiful track.

Reliant - I like the drum break around 0:59 a lot (you do it a few more times later in the track as well). I can see this being somewhere closer the the end of the album, maybe 3rd or 4th from last. It starts the goodbye process. I really like the bass in this track, its very soothing. I can't wait to hear it in headphones.

Oceanic - The bass in this track accents the drums rather well. I must say, I do feel like I'm underwater when I listen to this. This paints a very vivid picture. I would probably put this 2 tracks before Under Stone.

Electronic Somewhere - Ah, the title track. I can see why you are partial to it. I like what you did with that main percussion riff. I would probably make this track 4 (in compliance with the rest of my suggested order, of coarse). That just seems like a good place for this track, as well as for the "title track".

Under Stone - THIS TRACK IS BEAUTIFUL. Honestly, this is the best track out of all these, and I would probably make this the 2nd to last song, you know, save the best for last, and then close it up with...

Join Us - Creepy intro... I like. Unfortunately I don't think this really fits the flow of all the other songs. I would probably make this a bonus track on a single release or remix album, and cut it from the main album. It's a good track, it just doesn't fit here.

Farsight - This fits the mood of the rest of the album very well, but yet still adds its own unique element. Very beautiful pads in this track. I really like this track's groove as well. I would put this somewhere in the middle of the album.

Shine - I agree, this is a great way to wrap up the album. Make this your last track.

Fluidic - I would put this somwhere in the middle. It has a nice trance mood to it, but yet its one of those "have to be in the mood for it" songs.

As far as the album art is concerned, the orange hurt my eyes... a lot. So my choice is obvious.

Good luck with the album. I would pay for this. It's going into my perminant library, and getting marked as favorites. I hope I was of assistance.
Last edited by |J|E|D|I| on Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow :o Thanks for all the feedback guys! Jedi, you have given me some new track orders to try out, thank you :love:
Under Stone - THIS TRACK IS BEAUTIFUL. Honestly, this is the best track out of all these, and I would probably make this the 2nd to last song, you know, save the best for last, and then close it up with...
Seems to be most people's favorite and was a last minute addition, I'm not sure about that one :)

trust me, Under Stone will be your first single.

Under Stone will make you rich :P

Under Stone will make you rich
trust me, Under Stone will be your first single.
:oops: :lol:

Oooh yay, just came home from a hard day of work, listening to Under Stone. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, It's that good. :)

I didn't listen to the whole thing yet, but what I've put on so far is absolutely awesome. Great work!

Return to “Music Cafe”