Traffic

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This might be the two first tracks of a new virtual album. I'll let you decide.

000-700

If further details are needed, please let me know.

Warning: This is experimental sound scapes. Don't expect anything musical.

And please leave a comment if you like or dislike or understand or don't.

ugly
tense
bestial
intimidating
nightmarish
media player is set to repeat...
...somebody turn it off!...
no... no.. leave it on...
aaagh! I can't stop listening...

Suburban: I'm sorry if I coursed lasring damage :D

respirator wrote:Suburban: I'm sorry if I coursed lasring damage :D
A hot cup of tea and a good nights sleep and i'm ok now :lol:

just listening again there's a quality to the production that I find quite compelling.
Even though the sounds and general theme is quite indistinct and dark there is a bright glossiness to the sound.
Is this the result of some kind of maximiser plug?
or just a damn good mix?

Sign me up for a virtual album anyway.

Damn good mix, off course ;-)

No. I've done two simple things that really has improved sound quality in my work. Higher sample rate (I almost always works at 88.2) and lots of headroom everywhere in the signal way (never enter the yellow zone on the meters).

I think the explanation is something like this: The higher sample rates mean that the LP filter in the A/D only effects the signal in the safely inaudible range (+25K). I certainly hear improved highs with 88.2 compared to 44.1.

The headroom in the signal chain is especially important when adding lot of efx and/or summing lots of tracks. If your signal is hot, ie close to digital 0db, efx and summing will cause dithering = ugly digital artefacts. Because hot + hot = over = digital limiting. The noisefloor in a digital environment is no problem, so running at (digital) -6db or lower is no problem. In the analoge domain it is the opposite. The noisefloor is higher and analoge distortion (or saturation) is pleasent and desireable.

(I think I've understood this correctly, if there's faults in my reasoning, please let me know. Anyways: it works for me).

Woah ...... ..... ... what did you use to make that?

I'm almost thinking WASP :)

Sorry, but what is WASP? (I didn't used that). No synths. Only recordings. As allways. And thanx for the Woah!

thanks for the info R.
I've recently discovered for myself the benefits of maintaining plenty of headroom, I've always been afraid of turning down the faders for fear of a track losing its power, but its apparent that the opposite is true.

Wasp is synth from Imageline BTW, not a bad little synth with a "buzzy" and aggressive sound, hence its name

suburban grilla wrote:...I've always been afraid of turning down the faders for fear of a track losing its power, but its apparent that the opposite is true...
Exactly. There's some fancy theory behind this, but as long as it works I'm happy.

Oh - and Bump!

respirator wrote: Oh - and Bump!
Have yet to listen, but reading the discussion allready wet my appetite

Wow!

Especially that second one; I constantly got the feeling of water around me from within a boat. That's a lot of traffic happening there.

An album of this; but surely this will be as great as the monochrome one; which reminds me, when will that be coming?

Thanx Mystahr! Regarding Monochrome, I think I'm going to do some CD-R's myself. Should I do "cover art" or just burn the CD?

Thomas

Just gets better and better! Really well done, as always. Presumably this is processed field recordings of actual traffic? Sounds that way.

Thanx Dystonia!

You're spot on. 000-700 indicates that it's a recording of the traffic outside our apartment from 00:00 - 07:00 (only processing - almost - is severe time compression). 400 indicates that it's a very short sample from about 04:00. More processing in this case...

The rest of the virtual album will also consists of sounds from this one 7 hours recording.

respirator wrote:Thanx Mystahr! Regarding Monochrome, I think I'm going to do some CD-R's myself. Should I do "cover art" or just burn the CD?

Thomas
It basically depends if you have a good enough printer I'd say.

But personally I'd say yes; I think the project deserves a face more then just a burnt CD-R ;)

Return to “Music Cafe”