ambient/drone/glitch/noise/soundscape [50mins long]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:hihi: :hihi:

That got you to read it, didn't it?? :hihi:

[original message follows]

I have been studying a little harmony/counterpoint/orchestration lately and I tried to do an exercise to incorporate those elements in one of my tracks. While not exactly classical [very close tho] this is what came out of the experiment. This track also stops a little abruptly because it was only an exercise after all, but it sounds very cool IM[NS]HO. :D :D

http://www.pualah.com/ADanceOnTheRooftops.mp3

Enjoy. It's probably staying this way, if someone wants to work some more on it, I can send a MIDI file... Comments welcome because this is a bit new found territory for me and I'd like to know what you think...
Last edited by TristezaOrange on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

What are you using for instruments here? Is the tone what you wnanted, or are you working in the limits of your instruments?

james0tucson wrote:What are you using for instruments here? Is the tone what you wnanted, or are you working in the limits of your instruments?
Unfortunately only freeware soundfonts, so please be kind. Comment on the composition mostly. :D

Hmm... silence that sounds suspiciously like a scream of "Tris, forget this stuff and get back to your atonal/noisy days" perhaps?? :hihi:

If so, don't be afraid to say so. I won't bite [not from this distance anyway :hihi: ]

Oooh, just remembered about this, I figured 'a bump wouldn't be bad'! :D :hihi:

looks like your begging for some feedback.. :)

i can't really put my finger on what it reminds me of. the moods light, but there is a hint of something darker too. my first thought was the brady bunch.

as an exercise, the constant downbeat piano chords at 0:10 and 0:54 work well but become annoying. perhaps you could do something else to achieve the same effect? i liked the upward string runs heard a couple times. they sit well in relation to the other music. Is counterpoint the word i'm looking for?

it works anyway overall.

i'd like to be able to write music like this.

vam

veryangrymobster wrote:looks like your begging for some feedback.. :)

i can't really put my finger on what it reminds me of. the moods light, but there is a hint of something darker too. my first thought was the brady bunch.

as an exercise, the constant downbeat piano chords at 0:10 and 0:54 work well but become annoying. perhaps you could do something else to achieve the same effect? i liked the upward string runs heard a couple times. they sit well in relation to the other music. Is counterpoint the word i'm looking for?

it works anyway overall.

i'd like to be able to write music like this.

vam
'Begging' is of course the right word. :D :D :hihi: I was a bit disappointed because while something classical-esque may not be the normal around here, there are a couple of people I know of that could probably give me some useful feedback on the composition. It's a first for me, so I wanted to know how crappy I was. :hihi:

I know what you mean about the piano chords and this 'just being an exercise' isn't a very good excuse really. :D

Oh, and yes, 'counterpoint' is the word you're looking for. :D [at least I hope so, that was the point]

far too short, Tris. Lovely, melancholy peice this. Shame not more have commented.

Sounds a little claustrophobic to me, too compacted - let those strings freeeeee! Speaking of strings, their timing is a little tight too, they would be even more expressive than they are if you gave them a little more space to bleed a little...

Do you have plans to develop this one? Please do
:D
toujours humectez la mouture. toujours.

Miro wrote:far too short, Tris. Lovely, melancholy peice this. Shame not more have commented.

Sounds a little claustrophobic to me, too compacted - let those strings freeeeee! Speaking of strings, their timing is a little tight too, they would be even more expressive than they are if you gave them a little more space to bleed a little...

Do you have plans to develop this one? Please do
:D
Thanks Miro! :)

I understand what you mean about the 'sequenced' feel and tight timing of the strings.

About the 'letting the strings free' comment: can you please elaborate a bit on that? I am genuinely interested in getting better at this, so any further comment will be appreciated. :)

[edit] since you like it, I am going to go ahead and develop this one. :D

TristezaOrange wrote:About the 'letting the strings free' comment: can you please elaborate a bit on that?
Hi Tris. Sorry about the delay - my comment was actually a comment on the production.
from 0:56, the whole thing spreads out nicely, but the first part, especially up to 0:38 seems a little claustrophobic. In fact, my comment about the strings seems rather silly upon listening to the track again, cos they are nicely panned and given their own space :roll:
When's the next version due :hyper:
toujours humectez la mouture. toujours.

Miro wrote:
TristezaOrange wrote:About the 'letting the strings free' comment: can you please elaborate a bit on that?
Hi Tris. Sorry about the delay - my comment was actually a comment on the production.
from 0:56, the whole thing spreads out nicely, but the first part, especially up to 0:38 seems a little claustrophobic. In fact, my comment about the strings seems rather silly upon listening to the track again, cos they are nicely panned and given their own space :roll:
When's the next version due :hyper:
Thanks Miro! :) Next version will be out pretty soon - I had both my brother and cousin living in my apartment for the last couple of weeks and it's been a bit hectic in here. No music making, but now they've gone. :D :D

Return to “Music Cafe”