quasi-tribal polyrhythmic drum music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was played live on a 5 piece drum set, without overdubs, although there was some (rather obvious) editing done.

Hope you like it.5X3X4
Last edited by herodotus on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Cool experiment in rhythmic structures... I like it, although that high tom sound that occurs at almost every beat gets a bit annoying. Great dynamics in playing, though.
"...Everything we see or seem is but a dream, within a dream."
MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/MarcJX8P
Virb: http://www.virb.com/marcjx8p

Marc JX8P wrote:Cool experiment in rhythmic structures...
Thanks!

:shock:
I can only respond with jealous remarks!
I am firmly committed to my digital endeavors in music, but this kind of thing highlights the skill and talent of live performers.
..what goes around comes around..

Followed on from the link you posted elsewhere. This is some cool shit.

Funny, but when I saw "three meters" in the title earlier, for some reason I thought it had something to do with that new plugin from Raw Material. I thought it was a strange thing to advertise. (lookee me, I'm metering my audio).

Cool! Sounds like Turbo Zamba.

ouroboros wrote::shock:
I can only respond with jealous remarks!
I am firmly committed to my digital endeavors in music, but this kind of thing highlights the skill and talent of live performers.
Thanks for the compliment!

shamann wrote:Followed on from the link you posted elsewhere. This is some cool shit.
Thanks, I knew if anyone appreciated it, you would. :wink:

Hernan wrote:Cool! Sounds like Turbo Zamba.
Thanks!

I will have to look that up!

very nice, mr dotus.. (may I call you hero?)

I used to play that sort of thing to keep myself amused. I would maybe have 3 against 5 going between two limbs as an ostinato, then improvise with another limb, and keep a pulse with the fourth.. It's hard work but fun..

Another thing I enjoyed, inspired by Bruford's drum part in 'Discipline' (1981), was a modified paradiddle across rototoms and snare, basically a 14/8 and 15/8 ostinato, over 4/4 feet. I made a quick mock up here. You end up playing every combination of LH/RH change over against every combination of footwork. When a complete cycle has finished, swap the feet over to give an impression of pace as the Kick goes at twice the speed of the hats (which are ramped back to crotchets). It's killer to do, but satisfying..

The only drum lesson I ever had was with Bill. Nice chap. I showed me how the drum part in the Earthworks track 'Nerve' works, just mystifying, but essentially paradiddles with shifting accents.. Speaking of which have you ever seen The MegaDiddle?

ATB
DSP

duncanparsons wrote: have you ever seen The MegaDiddle?
I like that.

It is sort of a canon for drumset.

The 14:15 exercise is cool too. It reminds of the drum part from the verse of "Neil and Jack and Me".

Thanks for listening!

Actually, that would be 3 simultaneous time signatures at 1 meter (bpm).

K
eccentric genius

"It's not my goddamned planet, monkeyboy"
-John Bigboote

herodotus wrote:I like that.

It is sort of a canon for drumset.

The 14:15 exercise is cool too. It reminds of the drum part from the verse of "Neil and Jack and Me".

Thanks for listening!
Megadiddle is pretty cool isn't it!

Neil and Jack and Me is one of my favourite KC songs, along with Heartbeat and Waiting Man (from that period). I'm surprised that Heartbeat hasn't been covered, it's a superb lovesong. For me 'Beat' is everything that the 80's KC should be - intelligent music, played with joy (even tho' they were less than joyfull with eachother at the time..!). There's that break in "Neutroica" with the shifting beat, but constant hihat - great stuff. I saw KC in 1995 and 1996. 1996 they did 'Waiting Man' which was tremendous.

:)

DSP

kaden wrote:Actually, that would be 3 simultaneous time signatures at 1 meter (bpm).

K
Thanks for listening! But..

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music wrote: Metre: Term used of a regular succession of rhythmic impulses, or beats, in poetry or music, e.g. 3/4 and 6/8 being described as different kinds of metres.
and
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music wrote: Tempo: The speed at which a piece of music is performed.
Its probably a british thing, like 'crochet'.
Last edited by herodotus on Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

are you UK then hero?

did you notice my crotchet ref? tbh, I'm with you on the meter/tempo thing, but there are other interpretations out there (I believe!)

DSP

duncanparsons wrote:are you UK then hero?
Nope, just my reference books.

Well... some of them.

I still think the work of the great generation of classical scholars led by Bury and Tarn is yet to be surpassed. W.K.C. Guthrie was the last in that mold.

sigh...

cool i like it - i'll run it through the sherman filterbank and add some kicks - i'll post that on monday

Return to “Music Cafe”