Low-key ambient (slow, minimal)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I suppose I've had a good run, but figure that one bump couldn't hurt.

I played it on BWDD Sat nite on StillStream ... great track!!!

Thanks, Darrell.

I caught it on the show on Saturday, about one minute in to it. I had to do a double take because I thought I had accidentally just started the file on my hard drive and not actually tuned in to Stillstream. You guys sounded like you had a good time.

Cheers,
Steve

shamann wrote:You guys sounded like you had a good time.
Yes indeed! We got quite silly there toward the end.

Oh, okay, we were pretty silly the whole fookin time! :hihi: :hihi:

:hihi: I hope no one recorded it to remind you just how silly.

Finally got to hear this... somewhat different than what you usually do, to these ears. I like the first half best - really subtle fades, barely there. I have to say it loses me a little when it starts to get keyboardy toward the end though. Still, if you're going to do this sort of thing, this is how it should be done. I don't find the high part grating at all - just adds a touch of openness to the claustrophobic lows.

Just halfway through a second listen and it seems more engaging the second time.

Thanks J.

It is more keyboardy than recent efforts, but being a keyboard player tends to predispose me to that sort of thing on occasion. Still, thanks for the multiple listens given it's not quite your cup of tea.

Cheers,
Steve

What's the story with the noise? Did you just take the tail of a delay effect and loop it? Or do you use a synth that makes this kind of noise effect? Thanks for posting the track.

Thanks for having a listen.

The distortion is just feedback on a delay. The bass sounds are sent through a delay with a lo-cut filter, and I'm just manually adjusting the feedback as I go. I used Audio Damage's Dubstation, which degrades the signal in the feedback loop a bit. And with bassy sounds going in and a high cutoff on the filter, it actually takes a while for the feedback to build up. By the time it gets there, it's mostly just distorted scree.

Cheers,
Steve

I always get a nice feel for bass in your stuff.

I recently recorded about 30 seconds of noise from a VCR directly into the soundcard and slowed it down to about 24 minutes. The random blobs of bass from that were awesome. I'll post it some day.

Thanks for sharing your piece.

Thanks. I'm always after deep bass sounds, so that you can really feel their physical heft. Sadly, though, really heavy bass loses something on cheaper sound systems and earphones, so it limits its audience.

I'd love to hear what comes of the slow VCR noise. I did something a while back where I slowed down some noise grains to where they were each about 40 HZ, then fed them into some kind of delay effect (maybe a reverb). Worked a lot like shooting impulses into the effect, except with some of the original bass still there. It was neat, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with it at the time.

That was lovely. Even on headphones the bass is awesome. More!

Thanks, Thomas. Good to know about the bass.

More will likely be coming soon(ish). I just need to sit down and do it.

Cheers,
Steve

dburgan wrote: Oh, okay, we were pretty silly the whole fookin time! :hihi: :hihi:
out of fricken control was more like it.

i realized on sunday morning why everything electonic i touched turned to shit (and why i was so chatty) when i saw that i had killed off almost my entire bottle of appleton estate rum. that sucker was almost full when we went on. :O

ah well, at least i didn't fkuc up my didge.... and i had an awsome time.

any who, i loved drift a lot. it's a really nice and very chill piece. i agree with the comments about the bass, it is a thing of beauty.

i have downloaded it for my show tomorrow night too. :look:

nice stuff my friend.

Thanks, Scott, much appreciated.

As luck would have it, I just picked up man's best friend tonight.

Return to “Music Cafe”