Soundtracks for a theatre play. I need your opinion

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I have to make this month several tracks for a theatre play. Here you have the links for two of them.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=2953601

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=2953940

It is the first time when I work with this producer and I want to impress him with some good quality music. My small problem is that I work at home on my PC but I don't have a very good listening gear (just a cheap 20$ computer sound sistem); the nearest "close to pro" audition gear I know is about 100 miles away from my place and I don't have the time to go there.(Well, that's the life in Romania). So I have to do my masterings mainly by guessing.

I need everyone's opinion on this technical issue (you know, like maybe needs more bass or your drum track sucks...); also tell me if the songs are telling you something about a theatre play athmosphere (like maybe you feel the set is happening in a town or maybe in other place, real world or fantasy ...) It's important to me to introduce the spectator into the right mood.

I'm waiting for oppinions...

Petru Delu Damsa

Hi,
I write music for theatre in london. It sounds pretty good to me.
In my experience, its not about the quality of your mix, its about the quality of the speakers at the theatre. There's also the problem of the director that ends using about three seconds of something that took you three weeks to write.
The first track is brilliant. You're obviously a fan of Ennio Morricone. It reminded me of the soundtrack to the 'The Mission'.
The second track has a distinctly 80's feel. Sounded like music from a US cop show like Miami Vice. Is the play set in the 80's?
I'd be careful about using too many synth sounds. They often remind the audience of other genres... like cop shows or Sci-fi or Seinfeld (I hate that slap bass sound!).
Your compositions are great but if i was you I'd stick to using real sounds like strings, and pianos etc.

Thanx for your advice, sonarman!
You're right about the theatre's speakers, and also you're right about the "small" problems that the director makes to the musician every time when he has a new "vision" and he changes something in the play "on the go". So he feels now that "we need some timpani on the background of the track, you know, to express the mood of the character" and you deliver him next day the remade track only to find out that "no, maybe it's a bit too strong, cut the timpani and put some brass or horns on the background; that will show the determination of the main character" and aftertomorow again... and again...

I'll probably end up not puting the second track on the play. The set is supose to be timeless but in the past; it's a fantasy, kinda' Shrek-like; for children and adults too. Nothing about cops or 80's. However I have to find something rythmic because it's a (modern style) balet dancing on it.

petrudamsa

Return to “Music Cafe”