Hourglass - 'serious' big beat/breakbeat

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I say 'serious' because this track isn't quite as goofy as some of the other ones I did, but pretty solemn in terms of melody and progression. This is from my album "Impulse Prime" (http://www.cdbaby.com/zircon2) which I released a few months ago. However, I thought I'd release this track separately because I consider it to be one of the best on the album, and a lot of the people that picked it up agreed as well. This is probably the most CPU-intensive project I have ever done, as well.. but ultimately, I think it was worth it.

It's sort of hard to describe the exact style here, so just check it out :) Comments welcome!

http://www.zirconstudios.com/audio/zirc ... rglass.mp3

or http://tinyurl.com/dlqx5

Enjoy!

Hey zircon! Whew....outstanding :hail:

This one took some really surprising turns! Very cool. I like how it got really dry about half way through on that little break.

I'm loving the transitions, they are so professional. not to meniton the overall quality of it.
The only part i do not like has to be when the wet-ish kind of flappy drum samples come in, they quickly get replaced by the electronic drums, but perhaps just some compression can make them sound better. Just a suggestion. (3:40) specifically.

Thanks for this mix, it'll be going on my mp3!

and damn man, you must be loaded looking at that software list :D i wish i could get EWQL n'all

Whoa, the first thing that stands out is the production quality, crystal clear and spacious. Nice one.

Quite varied, at times has touches of prodigy, others more trancey and melodic, bits of acid, breaks and even chills for a little bit. a genre-spanner if ever I heard one.

Just a little recommendation for the album, I bought it a couple of months ago and it's very good :)

Still loving this one. Has a cinematic feel to it even though there's hardly a natural instrument in it.

Also, since I've complimented the track twice, maybe you'll take my complaint that you haven't tagged your MP3 to heart. Pet peeve of mine. :hihi:

Gotta say that I was expecting something different because of the big beat / breakbeat title - but like you said, it's hard to describe this style (I still haven't run into a 'proper' genre / categorisation for this)...

But now that's out of the way, good stuff :) Easily up to the commercial stuff in this vein, there's enough detail and movement throughout the track.

Felt a little light basswise (then again, I'm listening to this on headphones - which I do know pretty well after so many years), but overall it sounds really nice :)

About the only thing I could think of that could be improved is the basic bass, those long notes. Perhaps if the other notes after the first one didn't have the same filter sweep, in other words some of the notes here and there started with the filter already opened (at least to a degree), or if there was some cutoff automation, it'd feel more solid instead of 'sweepy' as it is now ('sweepy' meaning that the bass keeps fading in all the time instead of being there, providing a more solid low end).

Still, quality stuff.

Regards,

JMH
Now available with added Inherently Suspect Justification!

This is quite epic, I enjoyed it a lot.

I have a question too, you're 18... how the heck can you afford all that software in the equipment list on your site? You have some killer high-paying job or something?

:o

Cool,

I was expecting something different, too. But that's OK as it is.
This sounds really good. Very clean mix and good overall production. Sounds really top notch overall, the tune, the arrangement, the prodution. I would categorize this as a trance - drum and bass crossover thingy but I'm not too good in genre juggling anyway, so ... :wink:

Best wishes, FRitz
In the end will be the word.
Check out some of my music at www.fritzmetal.de

no,no,no....this is some white label shit right here man!LIAM YOU THERE????

the man himself said in an interview he would release white label vinyls and peeps would be like, "man is this f**king prodigy??".....gots the prodigy bass is all I know!!! whoever the hell it is...YOU DA MAN////big beat props to you man!!!!!

Arglebargle wrote:I have a question too, you're 18... how the heck can you afford all that software in the equipment list on your site? You have some killer high-paying job or something?

:o
I know for a fact he didn't get it illegally (or rather, off the internet) because i can't find any of them LOL.

kreeper_6 wrote:no,no,no....this is some white label shit right here man!LIAM YOU THERE????

the man himself said in an interview he would release white label vinyls and peeps would be like, "man is this fkucing prodigy??".....gots the prodigy bass is all I know!!! whoever the hell it is...YOU DA MAN////big beat props to you man!!!!!
Dude what are you talking about prodigy? this has nothing to do with the artist "the prodigy" and i don't think it sounds anything like The Prodigy.

Return to “Music Cafe”