SDZH - Phonetic Imprint ep review

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Getting for about 8 months ago, Ian Ainslie aka SDZH sent me a copy of his ep. Containing 5 tracks of smooth ambient noodlings with some lush beats, here is my long-overdue review:

Empyrea
Fabulous rhythms throughout and very nice spread of sounds. Love the changes around the 3:30 mark. Watch out for copyright on those Bladerunner samples! I didn’t like the way that the strings and the drum track come in together. I think the intro, despite the slight changes, is pushing it at 50 secs. By adding just one of the two (drums or strings) at…say..around the 35 second mark would draw the listener in more at the start of the track.

Phonetic Imprint
My fave of this collection. Fantastic mood. Great rhythm tracks again. That 2:27 entrance is beautiful and very cool. Love the zaps and the delicate sweeps of sound throughout. Only minus points: my copy doesn’t fade out, but stops abruptly at 5:47!!

Flickering in Shadow
So atmospheric and dreamy. Great use of samples to break the track up. As with all the music on the ep, I found this really well varied, with breaks and tweaks in all the right places.

Saturn Shines in x-ray
Really beautiful opening. What is that male choir-like sound in there? All of the tracks on the CD seem to be of a perfect length, with no real serious editing needed. They all sound GREAT – nice production, mate!

The Arms of NGC1973
Not that the others aren’t, but the intro to this is just sooo fucken cool – it’s the best sounding of all the tracks – the background is really busy. Great break at 2:44 and fine additions and flow throughout.
toujours humectez la mouture. toujours.

Mior,
thanks for the kind words. Glad that you liked it.
Any one else have any thoughts on the tracks?
Feedback's always great!

Thanks again miro

:D

Miro wrote:Getting for about 8 months ago...
only 8 months :P

ahem :oops:
toujours humectez la mouture. toujours.

Return to “Music Cafe”