Boards of canada - Music Has The Right To Children

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Then oddly enough the word has filtered down from across the pond to over here as well.

Nevermind the terminology though, lets keep this the BOC appreciation thread.

i im also very impressed with 'Telepopmusik - angel milk album'outstanding production and the female vocal sublime

Kingston wrote:Then oddly enough the word has filtered down from across the pond to over here as well.

Nevermind the terminology though, lets keep this the BOC appreciation thread.
Actually, I kind of love BoC for the way that they came up with a completely new template rather than fitting neatly into the pattern that someone else defined. My suspicion is that it helped that noone had defined IDM to be a genre and not a mailing list at that point.

BoC are one of the reasons to be alive.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

I've only just got into BoC and this album...I think its tops.

Roygbiv is one holy track...

Yeah,

rougbiv is another minimalist masterpiece and has that something. 'holy' as you describe it.

MHTRTC is good but I think their best stuff is on the Hi Scores EP. They've never topped that.

DWb wrote:Actually, I kind of love BoC for the way that they came up with a completely new template rather than fitting neatly into the pattern that someone else defined. My suspicion is that it helped that noone had defined IDM to be a genre and not a mailing list at that point.
Well there was Global Communication and several others doing it simultaneously, all had brilliance. And even aphex twin and squarepusher and the likes at the other end of the scale. In fact there's absolutely shitloads of music from the time that was quite similar. That was before the words IDM and electronica and when people still had the bad taste of "techno" in their mouths.

Sure there aren't that many full albums that have become the same sort of keepers as MHTRTC

I have everything available on Warp - went mad a while ago and just bought the lot. Don't have the new album yet, but I've heard it - really amazingly good.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Kingston wrote:
DWb wrote:Actually, I kind of love BoC for the way that they came up with a completely new template rather than fitting neatly into the pattern that someone else defined. My suspicion is that it helped that noone had defined IDM to be a genre and not a mailing list at that point.
Well there was Global Communication and several others doing it simultaneously, all had brilliance. And even aphex twin and squarepusher and the likes at the other end of the scale. In fact there's absolutely shitloads of music from the time that was quite similar. That was before the words IDM and electronica and when people still had the bad taste of "techno" in their mouths.

Sure there aren't that many full albums that have become the same sort of keepers as MHTRTC
I've always found that stuff from the mid to late nineties sounds a lot more varied than, say, all of those Merck acts who while sometimes very good, tend to sound a bit similar. But that might just because the new school people tend to have been specifically influenced by Aphex, Plaid, Ae and so on, whereas the earlier generation were hip hop / house / techno / indie / industrial kids who suddenly hit on the idea of making electronic music that wasn't explicitly dancefloor oriented, and brought a whole bunch of influences to the table but hadn't got a shared idea of what non-dancefloor electronic music would sound like. Now people already have a template so they don't have to experiment that much if they don't want too.

Forest of Echo Downs by the Secret Frequency Crew might be a future classic though. It shares BoC's evocative melodic electronica template, but with a very fresh soundworld and a lot of original ideas.

Look out for an album by 'Little plastic pilots' its funny how they've totally copied BOC's sound.

That album doen't die for me either, one the very few that don't.

One in the eye from me for the "electronica" label too. Why don't they label everything else as "guitarica"? Mind you, wtf is "urban" supposed to sound like?

We should have an open season on music journalists imho, fkn talentless middlemen telling the the public what they should or shouln't like, inventing handy labels to pin on art so they can write shite about it. Tossers.

Makes one a tad angry.

well warp records originally called this music 'Artificial intelligence' it should of just been left at that seems they are without doubt the pioneers of this music

Yes i remember when i first bought B12's eletro soma album on warp what bliss Artificial intelligence was born.

MartynM wrote:That album doen't die for me either, one the very few that don't.

One in the eye from me for the "electronica" label too. Why don't they label everything else as "guitarica"? Mind you, wtf is "urban" supposed to sound like?

We should have an open season on music journalists imho, fkn talentless middlemen telling the the public what they should or shouln't like, inventing handy labels to pin on art so they can write shite about it. Tossers.

Makes one a tad angry.
I agree , back in the 80's Derrick may was making a brand of music what he himself decided to call Techno named after a character in a science fiction book he was reading , after that everything with a beat was sadly getting labeled techno.

I remember watching a MTV music bash on TV some years back and there was a cheesy 2unlimited track playing and a reporter stuck a mike in derrick may's face and derrick said 'Boom boom boom ain't techno'.....

CANE CREEK wrote:well warp records originally called this music 'Artificial intelligence' it should of just been left at that seems they are without doubt the pioneers of this music
Electronic listening music was their term, I think. I've always quite liked 'braindance' from Rephlex (although that seems to be retricted to acid mentalism these days) , because it's up to you whether it's music to make your brain dance, or music for your brain and for dancing. And it sounds slightly silly rather than pretentious.

Return to “Music Cafe”