New Relaxing ToTc Productions Track ROUGH MIX

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's up kvrians!?

I've finished composing a new track....actually, a while ago...posted it in a manytone forum coz it uses manyguitar (wrote it for my friends birthday, coz i forgot to buy her something :oops: , and decided i could kill two birds with one stone and maybe use it as a demo for the manyguitar site :hihi: ). Anyway, i'm still in the mixing process...so please excuse the quality of the sound...nothing's really been EQ'd yet, just some mild track compression and FX that will be added. I'm looking for opinions at this point...on A: how real the guitar sounds....B: how real the bass sounds (if you can hear it at all in this mix :hihi: )...C: whether the drumkit i used fits...i'm not sure how i feel about it....D: If i need a better piano VSTi, lol, and lastly, E: Just an overall opinion of the track and spatial positioning of the sounds.

Stream/Download: HERE

Thanx guys!

peace

frank.
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

:BUMP BUMP BUMP:

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Hey Frank...

A. The guitar does not sound real at all to me, but I'm biased being a guitar player.
B. I can barely hear the bass and then only at certain times, so it is hard to comment on that.
C. The drumkit sounds good to me, except the kick. The hat sounds a little weird too.
D. The piano works, but you could probably find something more well suited. What are you using now? I could actually hear an organ in its place...or layered with the piano. I'm a big fan of Mr. Ray myself.
E. I like the lofi approach, but the mix seems muddy as is. I like the panning on the percussion and the mono to stereo intro.

Hope that helps some. Cool track. Post it up again when you finish it up.
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

freeztar wrote:Hey Frank...

A. The guitar does not sound real at all to me, but I'm biased being a guitar player.
B. I can barely hear the bass and then only at certain times, so it is hard to comment on that.
C. The drumkit sounds good to me, except the kick. The hat sounds a little weird too.
D. The piano works, but you could probably find something more well suited. What are you using now? I could actually hear an organ in its place...or layered with the piano. I'm a big fan of Mr. Ray myself.
E. I like the lofi approach, but the mix seems muddy as is. I like the panning on the percussion and the mono to stereo intro.

Hope that helps some. Cool track. Post it up again when you finish it up.
lol, i'm a guitar player too. 16 years now...going on 17....so i'm a bit biased myself...however, i've always been amazed by synthetic guitars...trying to come as close as i can to the real thing...As for the bass not being heard, and the mix being muddy...I know these things....it hasn't been properly mixed yet...i haven't even changed the levels to fit with eachother yet....guess, "Rough Mix" doesn't fit it well, it's honestly more of a "Rough". lol. I like the lofi on the drums too...but the kick is what bothers me...and that loud hi-hat (although, that will obviously be turned down substantially when i properly mix this track). I suppose i'll have to experiment with a few different ones. The piano, lol, it's the 4front Piano module VSTi actually. it's a freebie......only decent one i have at the moment....that i can fit on my computer. I'm getting a new comp by the end of the year...with plenty of harddrive space...so then i can use my Precision Sound pianos (nordic upgright!!!)...until then i have to make do with the free stuff.

Thanx for the comments though freeztar. appreciate you taking the time to listen.

back to work now.

peace

frank. 8)

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Hi, Totc!

I've been listening to your song a couple times.
The guitar sound is a bit odd. I don't dislike synthetic guitar sounds, but the problem with this one IMO is the lack of definition of the fundamental tone. Perhaps a more cutting attack could help. In the other hand, the playing of the guitar is quite real.
The bass role is double played by the bass itself and the piano, and it makes hard to lisen each instrument isolated.
About the spatial distribution i think you're done. I like the way you do this part of the productions.
And lastly, I like a lot this song. When I was listening they come to my mind names as Black Eyed Peas (in the intro) and TOTO, (very good signs) and the overall idea is very good.
I wish this could help you.
I'll look forward to listen the song finished.
Best regards.
Diego :wink:

Diek wrote:Hi, Totc!

I've been listening to your song a couple times.
The guitar sound is a bit odd. I don't dislike synthetic guitar sounds, but the problem with this one IMO is the lack of definition of the fundamental tone. Perhaps a more cutting attack could help. In the other hand, the playing of the guitar is quite real.
The bass role is double played by the bass itself and the piano, and it makes hard to lisen each instrument isolated.
About the spatial distribution i think you're done. I like the way you do this part of the productions.
And lastly, I like a lot this song. When I was listening they come to my mind names as Black Eyed Peas (in the intro) and TOTO, (very good signs) and the overall idea is very good.
I wish this could help you.
I'll look forward to listen the song finished.
Best regards.
Diego :wink:
Thanx diek!

lol, if only i had that chick from the black eyed peas...all my stuff would be better. :hihi:

I'll keep the guitar stuff in mind. I could always play it myself....just trying to tackle the challenge of making a synthetic guitar sound real. : )

peace

frank

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Frank,

Nice piece of work.

A: I agree with the previous comments on the reality of the guitar. I think the problem is that the attack transients are pretty much identical for every note played - and the processing makes it sound pretty much like a straight sine wave with some distortion added.

B: What you can hear of the bass is fine to my ears.

C: The kick works OK in the intro, but thereafter seems too "heavy". I would try something with more of a biting attack and shorter decay. The absence of a genuine snare in the kit is a bit disconcerting. I think one problem with the hi-hat is that it is panned too far left - way out of line with all the other drums, and there are no other balancing hi freqs in the right channel (maybe a snare?). Some of the faster drum rolls suffer a little from "machine-gun-itis" - alternating samples may alleviate some of that,

D: The piano is fine for this track - I wouldn't touch it.

E: Some of the moving panning on the bongos distracts, and is a little unrealistic.

Overall, I like the track, and look forward to the opportunity to hear the finished version. The track has good structure, good chords, chord progressions and rhythms, and is well played. It is original enough to be interesting, but not so different as to be unapproachable. Thanks for sharing this.
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

slartibartfast wrote:Frank,

Nice piece of work.

A: I agree with the previous comments on the reality of the guitar. I think the problem is that the attack transients are pretty much identical for every note played - and the processing makes it sound pretty much like a straight sine wave with some distortion added.

B: What you can hear of the bass is fine to my ears.

C: The kick works OK in the intro, but thereafter seems too "heavy". I would try something with more of a biting attack and shorter decay. The absence of a genuine snare in the kit is a bit disconcerting. I think one problem with the hi-hat is that it is panned too far left - way out of line with all the other drums, and there are no other balancing hi freqs in the right channel (maybe a snare?). Some of the faster drum rolls suffer a little from "machine-gun-itis" - alternating samples may alleviate some of that,

D: The piano is fine for this track - I wouldn't touch it.

E: Some of the moving panning on the bongos distracts, and is a little unrealistic.

Overall, I like the track, and look forward to the opportunity to hear the finished version. The track has good structure, good chords, chord progressions and rhythms, and is well played. It is original enough to be interesting, but not so different as to be unapproachable. Thanks for sharing this.
Thanx! appreciate the constructive feedback.

Yeah, the guitar is a preset i made for the Manyguitar release....was supposed to sound like a neck pickup on a les paul....The preset is really intended to be mixed with another guitar signal...to layer together...it keeps a tonal balance in there. It is pretty thick though...and could benefit from a different amp preset. I'm thinking of layering the guitar a bit two...for a wider sound. Using two tracks and mildly ajdusting the amp settings and using a sample delay of 20 or 30 samples....maybe even some very light autotune in specific places to mildly detune it with the other signal. we'll see.

That's exactly my feeling on the kick...just couldn't put it to words...The more i listen to it, the more i feel that it just isn't the right kick for this song. I'm gonna try replacing it with that free multisampled kit from guiro....might clean things up a bit. General EQing and everything will no doubt clean up the mix and remove the mixing of lower frequencies...there a bit of smearing in the high frequencies too between the piano and the guitar.

oh well, lots of work to do on this i suppose. lol.

thanx again.

frank

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Return to “Music Cafe”