Goa Trance Psy trance track ,, what do you think

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a track i want you guys to hear and comment upon, if u would be so kind, Made in Orion, thnks

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=235L ... JCZLEW6OPG

awesome that you did this in orion..

the production quality is top notch.. good handling of the bass and kick drum especially (since this is a problem in my own productions)

musically though.. I personally find theres a lot to be desired (thats missing).. your song doesn't have any goals it seems other than to make sounds. Or at the very least I'm not hearing it's "purpose"..

as a result I feel its about 4 minutes too long..

theres a weird JUMP in the song at 0:44 thats quite sudden and awkward..

I'm not convinced or amazed or even enjoying the texture you've created... it all seems so scattered and 1-dimensional (maybe needs delay and/or doppler effects.. SOMETHING is missing)

maybe thats because I was expecting to hear a full-on song.. since there are times which it feels like thats where its heading.. then it slows down and goes back to the familiar DAH-DEE-DOOO in the background..

transitions though are quite nice and work well..

so summing this up..

personally I feel:

GOOD:
Production (Please make some tutorials on production for goa - you know how to do this very well)
Percussion (Normal affair but it works so well)
Transitions (Executed flawlessly - minus the odd jump aforemented above)

and overall I like 2 'parts' of the song really well.. they were going somewhere then..

BAD:
I discovered there was little-to-no cohesion throughout the song..

if you had some easily identifiable goal throughout the song, a theme if you will, it would be easier to listen to this song.

You have a lot of random melodies that are good on their own but have no relation to the others in the song.. so it sounds like you made up a bunch of melodies one day.. then just scattered them over your (top notch) percussion and bassline. :(

Some of the melodies, the sound used for them, are a bit cheap sounding to my ears.. they seemed out of place.

UGLY:

David Bowie's music - singing as if one is in the shower isn't any cooler with a rock band behind you.

:hihi:

Though I dont find anything 'ugly' in your song.. you know the genre.. probably better than myself I'll even say..

but I personally feel it still needs work on coherence.. less melodies with more flow between the ones you keep..

--------------------------

I hope complete honesty was ok with you... because I was... :o *gulp*

I'm loving this.
Some really cool sounds and a great feel.

The percussion's really good and the whole thing's got a lot of motion going on, although I agree with Vit D that it seems to lack some kind of direction.
But that's not to detract from what's otherwise a very good tune indeed, which improves with subsequent listens. :D 8)

:nutter:

Just realised I've had this on loop for over an hour and it's not occured to me to change it! :lol:

I guess I ought to press stop. Right after this one last time... :hihi:

Thanks alot for listening and your well thought criticism, my initial reaction was :) hehe, Thanks vitamin D for an in depth reply, thats exactly what iam always looking for. Of course i will take what you say with upmost dignity, but it seems you are asking the intangable of me. There is always a purpose when i write and that is,shockingly, to make good music, but i will not deny that a theme is missing. The melodies may not complement each other..hmmmmm,:) Coherence,,, Im not sure what to ask but any help concerning themes and coherence would be amply appreciate. Or is this something i will have to pick up on my own:)

Glassback:):):) hehe

About the Goa Tutorial , I will work on it and browse the ones out there so not to sound amatuerish like my psybassline tutorial, but the essence is of course experience in writing and, very important the vsti lead that you choose, in this case i used Maxxclasters Ej, very brilliant synth, get this for Goa leads at all cost!:) apply lots of filter tweeks and basic processing, ie, multidynamics compression and equalization, bb sonicmazimizing for glare and compression to smoothe. I will post an in depth tutorial when its more thought out later.

Also your comment on writing this in Orion is impressive,Vitamin D, Orion works great for me, have you any experience in Orion, its focus is more on writing

yes I also use orion :) thats why I said it was impressive.. aurally you have the production down well.

coherence.. uhmm what I meant was maybe use a smaller set amount of melodies and build on them throughout the song.. then go from one to another back to the first one with bits of the other..

at least thats ONE way to do it.. though really my opinion is just but one opinion - as you can see glassback seemed to really enjoy it as is... so mileage may vary clearly. :hihi:

btw your tutorial was quite nice.. I got a good sound.. not as punchy as yours but better than my usual.. btw I was curious.. which compressor do you use? the built-in one that comes with orion by chance?

Good to hear more psytrance on KVR wOOt!! :D

A nice foundation you got going there - can't fault it.
Love the funky bits around 8:30.

However I have to side with VitaminD on the flow. Sounds like you have a lot going on without any formal direction.

Have you ever tried writing the "song" part first over a basic framework of drums?
Once you have the song structure in place, something that sounds coherent you can follow like a story, then fill in the rest to finish.

The Compressor i used came with orion, however on the kick i used the bass compressor, still with orion. I do appreciate your replies and orangenut, you may have an idea i might try, though i am curious, say the song is 8 min long, are you suggesting to first write the framework then arrange the full 8 min,,, then add melodies and synths from there? Hmmmm, i never tried it that way :) ill see what i can do. Thnks alot :)

Yup that's correct, lay down the drums and fills for the entire track from start to finish. Even if you have large gaps everywhere for the breaks, intro and outro. Then write core of the "verse, chorus, refrain, breaks, builds, whatever" onto that, do the bassline, then embellish and mix. Just a suggestion, as its not everyone's cuppa tea to do it this way :)

Link is dead... Im also an Orion Loving Psytrance Guy, so plz update link!

link expired!

I wanna hear the song. I highly recommend posting the song at the Auditorium for longevity's sake.

-Scott

What is the auditorium

Neurogen wrote:What is the auditorium
Sorry about that, it's sort of KVR's unofficial song hosting site.

www.the-auditorium.net

Try it, you'll like it.

-Scott

Return to “Music Cafe”