Enraptured by the recognition on your face

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To krank. Yes classically trained, not much improvisation, things come into my head and I either write them down if that is possible, or I realise them straight on to the computer. This work is 100% written down. The threondy, elswhere, is about 80% written, and the rest added for effect. Thanks for the positive comments anyway, even though you have mixed feelings, you took the trouble to write that, and I appreciate it.

thanks

Obfski,

I've heard each of the four pieces several times now (a blend of stubbornness and curiosity on my part I suppose), and I actually quite like your music now.

What software and hardware do you use?

Well I am pleased that you like it. I just had a listen to your three pieces, just to see if I could hear where you were coming from. I think you cut them all off far too soon. Are they complete as they are, or have you contracted them to make the downloads smaller? You like your drums. They are always the last thing I consider, if at all, and even then I tend to go for percussion rather than a drum kit. The prepared piano you are using is good though. What is it, a soft synth?

Hardware is a Yamaha S80 keyboard controlling Sonar 4 and Tassman plus as many other soft-synths I can get my hands on. A colleague of mine has loaned me Reaktor (Native Instruments) and it just blows me away, so this will be my next purchase. I've only just stopped using tape loops, so I am slowly dragging myself into the 21st century.

It's funny, I was considering buying a used Yamaha S80 the other day because of the supposedly good action. But I think I'll save up for a Doepfer keyboard.

I'm glad you took the time to listen to my work. I should update my signature - I have only been making computer-based music for around a year and so am still very much in a learning phase; those pieces might not really be considered complete, it was just to have something - anything - to show. I'm from a very classically-educated home and have had some musical schooling, but my own creative output often seems to be punk-ish, break-ish, minimalistic. Ish.

If you're thinking of the piano sound in 'Automat', yes, it's played with an early version of the freeware softsynth bearing the same name.

Reaktor - as I am limited for the time being to my iBook G4, which I think has insufficient power to run it properly, I haven't bothered to try it. I have a strong impression that it's a mother lode of a package - only gripe would be if the complexity is such that one would get too immersed in tweaking it. That seems to be and endless challenge in this field - to remain focused on musical form and structure rather than get sucked into the wonderfully nerdy world of electronic technicalities.

I would like to hear your work in higher resolution - I don't think the 128kbps offered by Soundclick is flattering anyone.

The S-80 is a good solid keyboard, but if you are a pianist the action is not wonderful. I've not heard of the Doepfer keyboard. I am in a similar position, in as much as the computer world can be quite bewildering on occaision. That is one reason why I went with Soundclick, it talked me through the setup and I managed to upload a composition immediately. I realise that it has limitations and have now moved to The Auditorium. It was really simple to use, I just cannot see how I could not figure it out when I tried previously. Also I do not have to specify a genre, I find that enormously difficult to say that this belongs here and that there, so it is a better site for me in all ways.

Automat I will definately track down and use.

Reaktor is hugely complicated, for me anyway, so I do not tweak, I just use what comes up in front of me otherwise I slip into a time dimensional warp and lose myself for hours on end.

I will start to upload from now on in a higher resolution and I hope that you comment again in the near future.

Lovely, very peaceful, I enjoyed it!
Image Image

Automat looks like it is for Mac. only :( I have a PC.

polyslax wrote:Lovely, very peaceful, I enjoyed it!
Thanks for listening polyslax :)

Return to “Music Cafe”