S T O C H A S T I C R I F T O N E - Shane Sanders

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some calming improvisation and happy accidents here. Imagine big silver balloons floating up to a helium heaven.

128kbps version:
http://www.shanesanders.com/kvrtemp/sto ... ft1128.mp3

256kbps version:
http://www.shanesanders.com/kvrtemp/sto ... ft1256.mp3

You on a roll, or what?

:D

Just got home, no chance yet to hear the other one you uploaded first..
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

Sickle wrote:You on a roll, or what?

:D

Just got home, no chance yet to hear the other one you uploaded first..
yeah, some Saturdays are downright dangerous.

That last one was a supreme work of art; I'll listen to this one in the morning with my coffee.

cheers,
D
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

Thing is; I should have listened in a different order as this one compared to the other makes such a huge difference. Not that I don't like it; but this somehow misses that utter dynamics from the electric chair. Then again this is much more laid back and almost carries me off back to sleep. Beautiful, just beautiful. You're skills just keep climbing

Lovely calming atmosphere you have created. I especially like the "oildrum" type sound. How did you get that please?

Thanks for listening and commenting!

The oil drum type sound is physically modelled using a Reaktor ensemble. Can't remember which one without opening the file. All the physmod ensembles for Reaktor are useful, though if you want this particular sound for free you can easily get it from "surface" by xoxos.

very impressive!!! love the sounds, super atmosphere
I feel like making music now :)
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

love it! sounds very composed, reminds me of "serious" european art music i obsessed on in my dappled youth. the string pad chord line is very reminiscent of ives. gorgeous. for me, the long string line against the metronome oil drum works very well. i applaud your courage in *not* feeling the need to ornament/complicate the oil drum beat. that said, i think i would have liked it if the oil drum beat had a subtle skewing of the metronomic pulse, some volume variation (occasional dropouts and occasional surges), and some more extreme timbral treatment. also: what about a third layer that comes in a few times (or perhaps even once) and creates a memorable climax/hook for the listener?

rachmiel wrote:love it! sounds very composed, reminds me of "serious" european art music i obsessed on in my dappled youth. the string pad chord line is very reminiscent of ives. gorgeous. for me, the long string line against the metronome oil drum works very well. i applaud your courage in *not* feeling the need to ornament/complicate the oil drum beat. that said, i think i would have liked it if the oil drum beat had a subtle skewing of the metronomic pulse, some volume variation (occasional dropouts and occasional surges), and some more extreme timbral treatment. also: what about a third layer that comes in a few times (or perhaps even once) and creates a memorable climax/hook for the listener?
Very good ideas. Perhaps some clever stuttering, way back in the mix in few spots might do the trick, and as you mentioned, some good old drop-out. I had mentally envisioned the oil drum beat as being similar to those bubbles that glurp up from a tar pit. So the restraint was easy once that image was fixed in my mind.

The chords reminded me of Alan Holdsworth a lot, especially because of the sound I chose. He uses a similar sound quite often.

spaceman wrote:very impressive!!! love the sounds, super atmosphere
I feel like making music now :)
That's the highest praise one can get. Now go make a track and gift us back.

> Perhaps some clever stuttering, way back in the mix in few spots might do the trick,

could be very cool. i was envisioning more of a macro-stutter ... where some beats were a bit early, some late, just enough so that the shift was barely audible, like a slightly broken metronome.

> The chords reminded me of Alan Holdsworth a lot

hadn't thought of this. i saw him once live a few years back. supernatural virtuosity. i haven't been so enchanted with his more recent music. can you recommend an album?

rachmiel wrote:> Perhaps some clever stuttering, way back in the mix in few spots might do the trick,

could be very cool. i was envisioning more of a macro-stutter ... where some beats were a bit early, some late, just enough so that the shift was barely audible, like a slightly broken metronome.

> The chords reminded me of Alan Holdsworth a lot

hadn't thought of this. i saw him once live a few years back. supernatural virtuosity. i haven't been so enchanted with his more recent music. can you recommend an album?
The only Holdsworth album that I love is "Sand". There are moments on all his albums that grab me, but that one is consistent for me at least. I also loved him on the first UK album. The solo for "In the Dead of Night" is everything a guitar solo should be and it lives in a piece of music that is equal to the solo.

excellent piece, Shane...reminds me of some uber-kabuki or underwater Javanese gamelon piece...for as much as I like the 333bpm movement stuff...this definately brings it all home in the atmospherics and composition department. Hugely evocative of great complexities.

Shane Sanders wrote:I also loved him on the first UK album. The solo for "In the Dead of Night" is everything a guitar solo should be and it lives in a piece of music that is equal to the solo.
I love that album!! :love: :love:

It is so rare to find someone who even knows, much less likes it.

As for this, I will comment later, as the situation here is at present prohibitive of any serious listening. :x :wink:

Return to “Music Cafe”